• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need a new motor. Mine has hardly any compression.

jwhitt72

NAXJA Forum User
Found a 96 4.0 L for a good deal. I currently have a 95 XJ. Just wanted to see if there are any difference between the two years that might cause the swap to take

You should be ok. Only thing I can think of is the 96 has a different head design, some don't have a port for the temp sender at the back of the head. Some report the 96 has the port and it's the 97-99 that don't.
But you can tap it yourself or run the sender to another spot.

Other than that it's the same motor, with a few minor qualifications.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have 3 96's with the rear sensor. Late 96's had a connector change, so you might have to swap your sensors over. You will keep your 95's fuel rail with return. 96 also had different injectors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The coolant sensor will be the biggest challenge. It's a 6 one way or half dozen the other kind of deal. Other than that I'd bolt all of your 95 stuff the the 96 block. Intake alt and ac. Maybe the dizzy.
If the 96 comes with the power steering stuff I would use it. It puts the adjuster in front of the pump instead of behind like your 95 is.

Back