• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 Xj: Pwr Strng Fluid Flush & Fill

RAVC1

NAXJA Forum User
I just installed new tires, 32x11.5R15 and the power steering felt weak when moving the Xj at slow speeds. I needed and added a few ounces of fluid a few days ago and it does feel improved. However, I have never flushed this system and I can see stains on the end of the gear near the passenger cabin.

My return line still has the OE band clamp installed. How do I remove that without damaging the plastic intake elbow? Do I use a standard screw-type worm gear clamp when replacing the hose? This is clearly a difficult location to access with may tools.

your power concern could be from old worn parts, to remove the return line use pliers on the clamp. if that line has never been removed i would recomend replacing it. to remove it from the pump, cut the hose lenght wise for about 1 inch, make multiple passes. then peel the line back from the resivour nipple. just twisting the hose to brake the seal will most likely result in a broke nipple.

just use powersteering hose to replace the return line( must be rated for oil) fuel line may not work

Now would be a good time to replace the pump if it's old leaky and noisy. and the high pressure line.

I just installed new tires, 32x11.5R15 and the power steering felt weak when moving the Xj at slow speeds. I needed and added a few ounces of fluid a few days ago and it does feel improved. However, I have never flushed this system and I can see stains on the end of the gear near the passenger cabin.

My return line still has the OE band clamp installed. How do I remove that without damaging the plastic intake elbow? Do I use a standard screw-type worm gear clamp when replacing the hose? This is clearly a difficult location to access with may tools.

You can also try to access the lower connector and the steering box. Should just have to move the aux fan and have some room to work with. Also another suggestion is getting the Lucas power steering stop leak. Even if you don't have a leak it has conditioners for the seals. I used it on mine once I went up to 33's and helped for a bit, but in the end I needed to get a new steering set up and it's night and day. Ultimately you have old parts that will need to be replaced for the bigger tires.

Back