• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

harmonic balancer

XJ4570

NAXJA Forum User
Hello. My 2001 Cherokee motor is getting a complete rebuild after suffering a cracked head at 215,000 miles. Regarding the harmonic balancer, what is the wisest plan of action, buy a new one or sleeve original? Thx

I'd buy a new one, aftermarket is not that costly and hold up well. At least so far.

I've never bothered with the resleeve. People I've talked to don't think it's worth the work to do it.

More importantly is how the rubber is in the balancer? if it's original it might be starting to fail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What does sleeve the original mean? The seal surface?

If the rubber looks old and tired replace it.

If the sealing surface has a groove in it/was leaking then you may want to replace it even if the rubber is good.

Usually a timing seal kit comes with and without sleeve. If you've got a groove from the seal they sell the kit with a metal sleeve. You're supposed to pound the metal sleeve over the original to making the sealing surface good again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back