• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Firebird WS6 Steering Box Upgrade?

seanof30306@yahoo.

NAXJA Forum User
Not long ago, I read a thread that mentioned an upgrade to a 3rd Gen (1982-1992) Firebird WS6 steering box.

I've searched all over, but I can't find anything on it.

Is this a thing?

I have an '89 Formula Firebird WS6. It handles really well. The steering is 2 3/4 turns lock-to-lock. My Jeep is about 3 1/4" turns. That would be a big difference.

I too have seen mention of such a thing. It also stuck in my mind because I have a '90 GTA.

Searching I find this: http://www.naxja.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-85118.html

A mention here suggests searching inthe JeepSpeed venues might be worthwhile: http://store.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=76317

I searched for "F-Body" steering.

If you find photos and details of someone's actual install post a link. I am curious as to the difference in fitment and performance.

Thanks for the help.

Before I start digging, here's what I DO know.

I had an '87 Firebird V6, and there is a huge difference between the way it steered, and the way my Formula WS6 steers.

WS6 and 1LE are the same package ... sort of. WS6 was the Firebird designation; 1LE was the Camaro designation. They were essentially road racing suspension packages that came with better steering boxes, thicker front and rear sway bars, stiffer bushings, etc. The only difference was, ANY Camaro with 1LE came with rear disc brakes. For some reason, Pontiac offered WS6 both with, and without rear disc brakes. I have a drum brake WS6. It handles GREAT; stops like crap. Offering WS6 with drum brakes doesn't make sense to me.

What that means for the junkyard crawler is, if the ILE steering box is indeed the same as the WS6 steering box, you can instantly rule out any Camaro with rear drum brakes.

I've posted about this on thirdgen.org. we'll see what additional information comes of it.

AGR Makes two steering boxes that appear to be correct, at least for my Firebird.

The "Resto Box (PN 425153) has a 12:1 ratio, and goes for 371.00

The "Resto Cruiser Box (PN 425352) has a variable 13-16:1 ratio and sells for 406.00.

http://www.agrperformance.com/Street...erformance.htm

I don't understand variable ratio boxes, by the way.

Still don't know whether those boxes would fit a Jeep Cherokee, though.

Last edited:
Not to derail the thread but the 3rd gen WS6 package is not the same as the 1LE package. The 1LE was available on the Pontiacs as well. Not many were made of the 3rd generation. Easiest way to spot one is no a/c, manual windows and locks and radio delete plate. Also rear disc brakes and some unique suspension bits. Rear disc brakes are not exclusive to 1LE cars though. If one was ordered with the performance rear axle it included rear disc brakes.

Not to derail the thread but the 3rd gen WS6 package is not the same as the 1LE package. The 1LE was available on the Pontiacs as well. Not many were made of the 3rd generation. Easiest way to spot one is no a/c, manual windows and locks and radio delete plate. Also rear disc brakes and some unique suspension bits. Rear disc brakes are not exclusive to 1LE cars though. If one was ordered with the performance rear axle it included rear disc brakes.

After reading that, I leapt from my chair, spilling Pabst Blue Ribbon and Cool Ranch Doritos all over my "Make America Great Again" t-shirt, shouting "Oh no you didn't!!! and "That's bull****!"

I decided to do a little Googling before I fired off a return salvo, though, so I have only this to say to you:

"I stand corrected, sir. Your internets is better than mine"

Last edited:
Would the part number on that box happen to be 39-1080?

If so, I may or may not have installed and raced on that box last week with great success.

oooh and that is it

391080_zpshfbmxxiz.jpg

I installed and raced a borrowed XJ on that box last weekend. I can tell you that it worked very, very well.

I would not suggest it for a rig that is running on the rocks, without ram assist, but for street, desert, general mayhem - its a good option.

oooh and that is it

391080_zpshfbmxxiz.jpg

I installed and raced a borrowed XJ on that box last weekend. I can tell you that it worked very, very well.

I would not suggest it for a rig that is running on the rocks, without ram assist, but for street, desert, general mayhem - its a good option.

That's strange. I search that part number on the napa website and get nothing

I had to search by application, but I remembered the part number from picking up the box.

OK, I think I've got some answers.

1) Which Firebird steering box?

On the NAPA site, I inputted my 1989 Firebird, and went to "steering components".

Two steering boxes showed up:

NSP 88277081 (W/Softride Suspension) (under "Specifications": # Steering Gear Box Turns 3 - 3 5/8) http://www.napaonline.com/napa/en/p/NSP88277081_0370982772

and

NSP 88277101 (W/O Softride Suspension) (under "Specifications": # Steering Gear Box Turns: 2 1/2 - 2 15/16) http://www.napaonline.com/napa/en/p/NSP88277101_0370982777

Clearly, the steering box WITHOUT the "Softride Suspension" is the correct one. My WS6 Firebird turns the wheel at 2 3/4 turns, lock-to-lock. That's right in the middle of their stated spec.

Aside from the Steering Gear Box Turns, every other specification is the same, and comparing the photos, they look identical.

So, I'm pretty comfortable saying the NAPA part number for the "good" Firebird steering box is definitely NSP 88277101
http://www.napaonline.com/napa/en/p/NSP88277101_0370982777

That brings us to:

2) Will the "good" Firebird steering box fit my XJ?

On the trusty NAPA website, I changed my vehicle to "1996 Jeep Cherokee Classic"

It only showed 1 steering box: NSP 88278111 (under "Specifications": # Steering Gear Box Turns 3 3/8)

Now I know that box is a 3 /38 turn box because, instead of doing this research BEFORE my steering box went out, I put it off until AFTER it went out, so I had to put this box in my Jeep.

Anyway, comparing the specs of the Jeep steering box to those of the "good" Firebird box, they are the same, except for the lock-to-lock turns.

Comparing the photos, they look identical, too.

I'm virtually certain this is the box: NSP 88277101 (W/O Softride Suspension) (under "Specifications": # Steering Gear Box Turns: 2 1/2 - 2 15/16)

I'm going to go to the NAPA store where we bought the Jeep steering box, and see if there's anything they can do. My buddy who works on my Jeep buys all his parts there, maybe the manager will give me a break.

Let us know what you find. I am curious.

Back