• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dead xj

cleatus92

NAXJA Forum User
So my xjis dead. It's a 92 with the 4.0, aw4 tranny , 231 tcase with homebrew eliminator. There are plenty more parts involved but they shouldn't play a role in current issue.

So now the issue. It ran fine and I parked it for 3 months. I went to start it and nothing. the only thing that works seem to be the headlights and interior lights.No gauges, no fan no start/ turn over. Nothing else

Battery is good , connections and cables are good, replaced ignition switch, starter, nss, cleaned terminals, pulled cleaned and checked every fuse.

The ignition fuse in the block under the hood has no power is all I found. but can't figure out how or why. If I jump a wire from battery positive to the ignition fuse slot some of the gauges power up. I've checked every connection under the dashboard. Pulled apart almost everything to no avail.

Anybody have any ideas ? I've searched on here and the internet for hours but have not found an answer.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you
Cleatus.

maybe a fusible link went? sounds like a basic 12v issue

I agree a 12 Volt wire from the battery to where he found the dead input, maybe more than one, sounds like he already has found it but is not sure where to go next? Need to know what year and where he found the dead circuit. If a newer year is there a large buss fuse before the mini fuses?

I'd check the power line/cable going to the fuse box. It should be right there at the battery terminal and going to the fuse box in the engine bay. Plastic cover goes over where it bolts to the block.

I've had trouble when a shop didn't put the battery terminal back correctly and that line was grounding out.

My guess is either corrosion in that cable or the connection to the terminals either side. I'm pretty sure that feeds the rest of the car.
I'll go out and look at mine to see if I'm missing something obvious.

Only other thought is if you've had visitors under the hood nesting. They will destroy a wiring harness in no time and be difficult to locate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well never mind. disconnected the line going to the fuse box everything was dead,no headlights, no interior lights. Figured as much when I saw a 40a fuse for the headlights.

Maybe it's in the steering column itself if the fuse box is fully powered.
You replaced the ignition switch, but what about actuating rod that activates the switch in the column?

Other than that it's got to be a blown link someplace or critters getting at the wiring.

Not sure what else on a 1992 would act like this. Can a engine bay fuse box fail like this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best guess is there is an issue with the BUS? Hopefully I've copied the proper PDC layout for the 92?

Last edited:
Corrosion spots under the fuse panel bread board?

Thanks guys I'll continue to dig. I was planning on tearing into the fuse box under the hood today. I'll let you know what is found.

Or auto shut down relay? Not sure why that would trip from his story, but wires to it? There are relays in there too, nit just fuses!! I would focus on the wire he already found that is missing power and when jumped gets the heads lights back, but no starter?

Best guess is there is an issue with the BUS? Hopefully I've copied the proper PDC layout for the 92?

It is times like this that there is no substitute for an FSM-wiring diagram and a volt-ohm meter and knowing how to use both.

I forget did the ACC setting on the ignition power anything?

One thing to do is look for power with a volt meter at each spot on the buss bar 8MUD posted.

Back