• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OX Locker on the 8.25, reviews?

xjtrailrider

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Right now my trail rig is "Lincoln Locked" in the rear with 4.88 gears, Yukon Alloys, RuffStuff truss and ZJ brakes.

I rarely drive this rig on the street anymore since I now own a trailer and a welded rear just sucks, but I admit, its fun to drive every once in a while.

I blew up a few lunch box lockers before I welded it. I have a full case Detroit in the front and that end is fine but for occasional street driving i want selectable in the rear.

I have owned ARB's before and I'm not doing that mistake again so that leaves me with two options; Ox or Ected.

I would rather have a manual set up. I can get the locker/cable/shifter for around 1k.

Thoughts on the OX?

I have never used an OX but did make the mistake of installing a Ected in the front D30. Terrible differential that was very tight when new but was worn out within 15,000 miles. It would never completely lock up and would make loud, popping sounds when slipping. Auburn offered no help.

Since then, I have run an Trueurac in the rear and a E-locker in the front for years without problems.

I'd advise against the Ected Jon, there's a reason we don't sell them ;)

OX and ARB are both reliable units when installed and adjusted properly. The thing I like about the OX over the ARB is that if somehow you have a problem with the shifter or cable on the trail, you can lock it in manually using the proper size bolt in the cover.

I think my 3rd Auburn lsd is toast, so if the ected is in the family. . .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have read about a lot of adjustment problems with the OX, you may want to see if those are still current problems. I have never heard anyone who really liked their Ected. I think you need to look to a Detroit rear, or go to another axle if you don't want an ARB.

I have been running an ECTED for many years in the rear and it have worked OK so far. My XJ is equipped with 30" tires, have been off road just a few times on light trails and fire roads. 99 percent of my driving is done on street so the ECTED get used very little.

I still like it but,.....If I was to do it again I would go with the E-locker without thinking. At the time I was looking for an LSD so the ECTED with the optional locker (just a tight and tighter LSD) fit my needs at that time. If my XJ was equipped with 32 or larger tires I probably would not have bought an ECTED.

I have been running an ECTED for many years in the rear and it have worked OK so far. My XJ is equipped with 30" tires, have been off road just a few times on light trails and fire roads. 99 percent of my driving is done on street so the ECTED get used very little.

I still like it but,.....If I was to do it again I would go with the E-locker without thinking. At the time I was looking for an LSD so the ECTED with the optional locker (just a tight and tighter LSD) fit my needs at that time. If my XJ was equipped with 32 or larger tires I probably would not have bought an ECTED.

How do you like you're 4.10's with 30's? I am undecided between 3.73 and 4.10. 3.55's work but it cuts into the fuel economy especially when driving into a headwind. Most don't seem to go to 4.10's until they have 31's.

How do you like you're 4.10's with 30's? I am undecided between 3.73 and 4.10. 3.55's work but it cuts into the fuel economy especially when driving into a headwind. Most don't seem to go to 4.10's until they have 31's.

Well, I went from 225 70 15 tires to 30 X 9.5 X 15 and hated the performance especially when carrying about 500 pounds on the highway using cruise control and going up any hill or over pass. Also gas mileage went down hill. I then regear to 4.10 with the intention of never going to anything bigger than 31" tires. With 4.10 and 30" tires the RPM were about 250 above what I wanted it to be. The upside is, it is really good stop light to stop light. On the highway at about 70MPH the gas mileage was also good.

Fast forward to today,..... I am yet to use 31" tires. Instead I bought a set of JK 17" take offs that I will be using as soon as I finish the front end work. I am certain that 31 would have been the near perfect compromise between city driving and highway driving. Looking back I wish I did 4.56 gears instead but that is only because the tires I have now are 255 X 75 X 17 which are in fact are a little over 32". Depending on how it performs with these tires I will make a decision whether or not to stay with this size or go to a smaller tire.

I have 4.10's/30's on one of my stock daily drivers, a 90 RENIX with a new and strong 4.0.

I like it, love the power, mileage is about the same. I average 15 in town and 19-21 highway.

Back