• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flash's XJ build aka "Mowgli"

flash2pablo

NAXJA Forum User
I have owned my current XJ for over three years. It started out life as a 1998 Jeep Cherokee Limited with the Upcountry suspension package riding on 30/9.5/15 on stock limited wheels.
This was definitely a budget build. When I purchased the jeep it was stock and had a number of issues for $1900.

Best photo from shortly after purchase:

The first goal was to add protection and tow points front and rear. The jeep came stock with front skid and gas tank skid. I added an early style JCR front non-winch bumber and a Rigid Co rear bumper (with so far uninstalled rear tire carrier). I will shortly be cutting and folding the rear fenders to add the side protection provided by my rear bumper and add the tire carrier. I added a set of used rock rails for side rocker protection.

I had started collecting parts for a lift over a year ago. I wanted about 4" of lift to clear at least 32's. I picked up a set of used leafs and coils. I purchased a set of used Rough Country lift shocks, set of adjustable lower control arms and quick disconnects.
I had decided that I wanted a Mud terrain tire and a relatively inexpensive option was a set of Rubicon Takeoff tires. I found a set of 5 on Craiglist for $360 and a set of 17"x9" black rock crawlers for $100.

Item to note, I have owned 10+ XJ/MJ's over the last 10 years, but the lifted ones had been purchased and I had never installed a lift on a vehicle. Over the past weekend, I began the install of my lift. I had a few hiccups in the installation process but had read up on a number of forum posts around the installation process so I was surprised how easy it actually was working alone. Main issues were getting driver side rear control arm bolt free and not being able to remove the sway bar lower axle side pressed in torx bolts. I didn't take any pictures before, but after spending about 8 hours on the installation of the front suspension I took a picture to compare.

After completion of front but before rear lift.

The rear lift was relatively easy and only one real issue arose. I had a hell of a time getting the driver side bolt/nut off the shackle/rear leaf spring. At one point I thought it was a lost cause and put out a request for an alternative shackle. I got a little help from my brother and with two people with two breaker bars we were able to put enough pressure to remove the shackle from the leaf spring. Finished up the rear lift in about 2.5 hours total.
I mounted up the wheels/tires with the following results how he currently sits:

I have a few issues to resolve.
1. Steering is very loose. I need to finish installation of the front sway bar disconnects. I think there may be some additional issues that need to be addressed in the steering as parts are possibly worn out, but I am not an expert and don't know how to address them. The jeep drives fine and is easily handled at city street speeds but I have not taken it on the freeway or past 55mph yet.
2. Tire alignment. I hope to get the steering addressed before this occurs.
3. I need to get longer soft brake lines for the front and rear brakes. They were all maxed out when installing the coils and leafs. With the current setup the jeep has a lot of flex and I am concerned about a line failing if I tried to fully flex out the suspension.

I am sure I will come up with additional issues as time goes but that will need adjusting. I have not noticed any death wobble yet(or I have never experienced it and don't know what it feels like). I was expecting some issues with the rear drive line and pinion angle due to the lift as I have heard most people on late model XJ's require an SYE or transfer case drop, but have not noticed any issues yet. I am considering 1.25" extended shackles to raise the rear a bit and shimming on the rear leafs. I checked the jeep with a level and currently it is sitting level at 0 degrees on the rock rails.

This is my current daily driver but my round trip commute is 6 miles of city driving. I am hoping to get the three listed issues taken care of this coming weekend.

If anyone one has any suggestions or advice on the steering it would be appreciated.

With the jeep off have someone rock the steering wheel back and forth. Look for any excessive movement. Replace what's worn out. Read on how to do a alignment yourself it'll save you some Dingle berry from touching your jeep also I have to mess with mine every other time I go wheeling. Takes about 15 minutes to align a jeep with stock steering.

Also the rocking the wheel method will show you and loose or worn out bushings loose bolts.

sent by my Arse because my hands are full.

Durango or Dakota rear brake line(pretty sure Dakota) is like 7" longer and fits directly as they used the 8.25 rear axle if you have the same

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Looks good man! It's always rewarding working on your own junk.

X2 on what Larry said. I run an OEM rear Dakota line, and Chevy's for the fronts. They can be found super cheap and are plenty long.

Looks good man! It's always rewarding working on your own junk.

X2 on what Larry said. I run an OEM rear Dakota line, and Chevy's for the fronts. They can be found super cheap and are plenty long.

Chevy 1500 I believe are the brake lines right?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I will definitely look into the Dakota and Chevy lines.

Back