• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drop Brackets to Long Arms - Who's done it?

thebyus

NAXJA Forum User
I inherited a good set up of an RE 5" lift in the front. With 1" coil spacers I'm at 6". The PO stayed with the short arm RE kit but added drop brackets, so I get some pretty good flex.

So far this set up has been very good to me. Finally got the tramlining sorted with some more negative caster adjustment. But I'm beginning to wonder if I am missing out by not just biting the bullet and going long arm.

I know the topic of short arm vs. long arm has been beat to death on this and other threads, but I've not seen a direct comparison between those who have specifically gone drop bracket to long arm.

I'm curious to hear form anyone who has specifically gone from drop brackets to long arm: what's your opinion? was it worth it? what did you gain from it? were there any drawbacks? was just a bunch of time and money for no real gain? What are your thoughts.

Feel free to chime in, but make sure to tell us whether you went short/long or drop/long. I already know short/long there is no question.

I did it but I made my own long arms and cross member. I got the added benefit of a completely flat belly. No off the shelf kit can offer that. Do you have any real issues with your current set up? I just wanted to get rid of the small re flex joints. They didn't last long. I rarely got hung up on the brackets but it did happen from time to time

Only reason I went from drop brackets is because I bent a Rubicon express lower. I had graduated college and got a real job so used the bent lower to justify TNT long arms...

Performance wise I really didn't notice much but I don't regret it at all. Much beefier setup with better clearance then the drop brackets.

I'm in the same boat. Didn't see a huge performance I crease. Biggest improvements were clearance and proper pinion angle throughout the suspension travel

I went from drop brackets to radius arms. I'm not a fan of the radius arms and will eventually go to a 3-link.

I went from drop brackets to a 3-link on my XJ. The drop brackets creaked over near every bump and felt much less stable than the 3-link. Very pleased with the swap.

Back