• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rock Auto Exhaust Differences

MJ3000

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking to replace from the muffler back for as cheap as possible. The thing I'm confused about is on Rock Auto's catalog for a 1996 XJ, the tailpipe cost $38-43. All other years are either $13 or $17 for the cheapest option tailpipe. They are different parts numbers but they look fairly identical. Can anyone shed some light on what changed for the 1996 exhaust that makes it more expensive? And can I rig the cheaper pipe to work?

Walker 55188 1996 XJ $43
Walker 45379 1993 XJ $17
Walker 45944 1988 XJ $13

Have you not checked into or have access to a local shop? Most local shops will weld up a tailpipe for $30 or so; around here anyways.

As far as a difference - I can only spot the addition of the hanger at the end of the exhaust. I dont' think there is any major difference that says the others will not work.

If you go to the Walker site and enter the part numbers you will find that of those three numbers, there are two different pipe sizes. I didn't go any further than that, but I think the hangers are different.

Remember to check the shipping. On that big stuff, it can get pricey.

Back