• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

JCR Offroad Bumper Paint

nblanton

NAXJA Forum User
I just finished welding up my JCR Offroad winch bumper and I'm about to get to painting it.

Just curious as to what y'all would recommend for a relatively cheap and effective coating.

My current plan is rattle can primer followed by rattle can flat black. My buddy has suggested brush on POR-15 but I'm afraid it would be too shiny. I've also thought about bedliner, but the texture is giving me some concerns.

yRTlHTAl.jpg

S7T3J5Jl.jpg

(no judgement on my garage organization skills either)

Frankly I'd spend the extra and powder coat it. I rattle canned mine and over the years the scrapes and touch ups and cracks show.

you should go with the por15 because of the better rust prevention it offers just my opinion also you don't need primer but if you go rattlecan route use duplicolor or vht. powder coat is the most durable finish like cottontail is saying its well worth the extra cost

Last edited:
I hadn't thought about powder coating.

This is going on a 21 year old truck with 400k. I'm not putting that much money in it. I'm going to see if I can some POR-15 on a Sunday. Otherwise, I'll go with Duplicolor or VHT spray cans.

Thanks!

What I did ..Rustolum self etching primer> under coating on bottom surfaces>Semi-gloss all over,,,,several light coats to prevent runs....easy to touch up if needed. No rust for 3 years.

Rustoleum. Brush on or roll on from a can. If you roll it out with a roller when tacky, it will dry to a matte hammered type finish. Cheap, easy to touch up. Powder coating not so much of either.

I have had powder coating fail, and you have to have a commercial sandblaster blast it to remove the powder coat and rust.

Last edited:
I have to recommend the rustoleum rattle can bed liner. Its a really fine grit, not like actual bedliner and it seems to hold up well, I sprayed the inner fenders of my 2500 diesel and run 35" duratracs along with living on a gravel road, still holding up after almost 2 years and should it need to be touched up, it is easy to do so and matches well.

I have to recommend the rustoleum rattle can bed liner. Its a really fine grit, not like actual bedliner and it seems to hold up well, I sprayed the inner fenders of my 2500 diesel and run 35" duratracs along with living on a gravel road, still holding up after almost 2 years and should it need to be touched up, it is easy to do so and matches well.

This is exactly what I ended up using. It really has a great texture and looks awesome. I used Rustoleum etching primer on the raw metal after a rub down with mineral spirits. I'm in-between coats of the bed liner right now.

you should go with the por15 because of the better rust prevention it offers just my opinion also you don't need primer but if you go rattlecan route use duplicolor or vht. powder coat is the most durable finish like cottontail is saying its well worth the extra cost
POR15 offers zero rust prevention, it only prevents the rust it's applied to from spreading. In fact it wont even stick to metal that's not completely rusted. Plus it's not made to exposed to sunlight without a top coat of paint. I speak from experience on this :bawl:

Rustoleum. Brush on or roll on from a can. If you roll it out with a roller when tacky, it will dry to a matte hammered type finish. Cheap, easy to touch up. Powder coating not so much of either.

I have had powder coating fail, and you have to have a commercial sandblaster blast it to remove the powder coat and rust.

Powder coating is not exactly everything it is cracked up to be. Rust gets to work underneath it and wreaks havoc before you realize what is going on in there. And the day comes that you need to do any additional welding for some kind of modification you are up a creek.

It doesn't matter what you paint/coat your bumper with .... if you hit rocks hard enough, it WILL chip and scrape.

The key is to address chips and scrapes right away to prevent the rust from starting.

Self etching primer and satin finish rustoleum is what I use. Looks nice and is easy to touch up.

I like the paints from a place called Top Secret Coatings. They have been doing paint for the government for decades. Their paint is not just any old paint. It performs rust stabilization, but is designed to cover in extremely thin coatings. It gets very hard, much like POR-15, but is UV protected. Being thin, it doesn't chip off as easy.

It runs around $30 a quart, but a quart goes a long way. It is available in tons of colors.

It is by far the toughest paint I have ever run across. It is a humidity catalyzing epoxy paint, so if you get it on your hands, you will have to wait for the skin to grow out.

Be careful not to get it on your houtus. ;)

I wouldn't powder coat. I've seen some of the gnarliest rust from powder coated stuff. Once it's chipped it's game over. Personally, I would do as old man and a few other people said of sealing it with something good and paint over it.

Big X2 on the rustoleom rattle can truck bed liner . Awesome stuff

I use rustoleum hammered

Back