• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Do You Want The Mamba MR1X Wheel in 17 x 8; 5 on 4.5 Bolt Pattern?

seanof30306@yahoo.

NAXJA Forum User
Background:

In 2010, Mamba Wheels began making the MR1 wheel (a near-clone of the Moab wheel) in 15 x 8, 16 x 8, and 17 x8. They were also going to make the wheel in an 18" fitment, but to the best of my knowledge, they never produced it.

The 15 x 8, 16 x 8, and 17 x 8 MR1s were all offered in the 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern.

In 2012, Mamba Wheels was acquired by (I believe) Konig Wheels. At that time, the wheel was renamed the MR1X, and while the 15 x 8 and the 16 x 8 are still offered in 5 on 4.5, the 17 x 8 is now only available in the 5 on 5 bolt pattern.

Last week, I emailed Mamba Wheels, and left a post on their Facebook page about getting the MR1X produced in 17 x 8; 5 on 4.5. I didn't get an answer for a few days, so I called the company.

The guy I spoke with said they'd dropped the 17 x 8 in 5 on 4.5 because their research had shown there was no market for the wheel; that 5 on 4.5 owners wanted 15" and 16" wheels, not 17".

Later that day, someone from the company responded on their Facebook page saying essentially the same thing.

Thinking about it, it's occurred to me that if enough people let them know they're interested in the 17" MR1X in 5 on 4.5, they might produce that wheel. They have the tooling and molds, it's not like they'd be starting from scratch.

So, if you agree, you can go to my post on their Facebook page and weight in. Here's the link: https://www.facebook.com/MambaWheels...56800827315085

You can also email them off of their webpage: http://mambawheels.com/contact/

If you don't have Facebook, here is the text of my original post on their page:

"Hi,

I have some questions about the AWESOME MR1X.

I have a '96 Jeep Cherokee, and I NEED those wheels. I could have sworn when the wheels first came out as the MR1, the 17 x 8s were available in 5 on 4.5. Now that they're the MR1X, The biggest size I see in 5 on 4.5 is 16 x8. The 17 x 8s are only available in 5 on 5.

1) Were they available in 17 x 8 with the 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern?

2) What is the difference between the MR1 and the MR1X?

3) If it was not/is not available in 17 x 8; 5 on 4.5, Can that happen?

OK, here's the big one .....

4) Any chance of making it in 18"; 5 on 4.5?

The Wrangler MOAB wheel the MR1X is inspired by is hugely popular in the Jeep Cherokee, Wrangler community. I think you could move some units in that size/bolt pattern.

Thanks,

Sean"

Here is the text of their reply:

"Hello Sean.

First off, thank you for your kind words. I will answer in the order your questions were answered.

1. YEARs ago the MR1 was offered 17x8 was offered in 5x4.5. In the MR1X We no longer build that in the larger, 17" sizing.

2. The difference is that in 2012 the Mamba brand changed hands a bit and any similar styles that we decided to bring forward were all remade to increase quality even further. The X indicates that this is a improved version of a previous design.

3. As of right now we do not produce one off sets and do not have any intention of producing that wheel in 5x4.5 in 17". However its not impossible, however it was not a incredibly popular fitment, which is why we stopped producing it in that fitment.

4. I would say not. Again the reason we no longer produce the 17x8 in 5x4.5 was due to limited interest. Which made sense to a point. Seems that most of the 5x4.5 guys wanted smaller not larger. That is why we still produce it in 15" and 16".

If you have other thoughts or need to further discuss please message us instead of the page post. We will be happy to have a conversation. All the best and thank you for your support of the Mamba Offroad line!"

No not really.
A 17" wheel takes away side wall which creates a few issues or just plain out lesser preference when off roadin and airing down and such.
Mayne if they were cheap, they'd help people that just want a cool looking jeep and would pair them with 255/75 BFG's.
Don't know what the benifit would be.

No not really.
A 17" wheel takes away side wall which creates a few issues or just plain out lesser preference when off roadin and airing down and such.
Mayne if they were cheap, they'd help people that just want a cool looking jeep and would pair them with 255/75 BFG's.
Don't know what the benifit would be.

If you have larger tires then the 17" wheel is fine. It also allows you to run bigger brakes. If you are going to get 255/75x17 tires (stock size on JK Rubicons), which is a great tire size for multiple reasons including how cheap you can get them. Get some nearly brand new with JK Moab wheels off craigslist for usually ~$60-75 a wheel without tires or I have seen sets of 5 for $600 with tires. Also since there are so many vehicles running that tire size, it is easy to find replacements if need be.

I love my 255/75x17 Cooper AT3 tires on JK take offs. I got a set of 5 brand new wheels and tires for $800.

Back