• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

had ground problems, all fixed but engine has low power

Gunter

NAXJA Forum User
yeah there it is. i did install a new temp sensor in the block, and fixed all the ground issues per Cruiser54's instructions.
just now low power, and at startup high idle for 2 to 5 seconds .
it runs good, upshifts fine, downs shifts idles good. no leaks, no knocks, no smoke.
fuel pressure is with in specs.
i can barely maintain 55 mph.
when i had my ground problems, i had massive TPS problems.

thoughts or ideas where to start?

thanks in advance !! :rattle:

If you removed the tps, make sure you put it back with the activator arm on the right side of the throttle shaft bar.

Do a compression test?

Cat converter honeycomb may have broken and turned sideways blocking exhaust. Are you sure you have a good TPS now and properly calibrated?

Fuel pressure OK under load, or higher RPM?

Rear brakes locked?

Weak spark at higher loads?

Sounds like a partly blocked exhaust or active rear brakes (emergency break off?), or too little fuel at higher demand rates. You can run a fuel flow rate test with a hose and the engine off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Need to pull the shraeder valve first with a tire valve tool IIRC

Seen clogged cats do this. Specifically someone had a s10 which couldn't do 55 on the interstate.

If it's your brakes you should be able to smell it. Ought to be red hot.

Had a rear caliper stuck on the commander got the laser temperature gauge out, hundreds of degrees hotter than the other sides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL, its going to rain, we both agree, so it must be the Cat!!!

LOL, I vaguely remember a credentials battle we had over who was right on a topic ages ago. I think you won the what was wrong battle.:laugh3:

Seen clogged cats do this. Specifically someone had a s10 which couldn't do 55 on the interstate.

If it's your brakes you should be able to smell it. Ought to be red hot.

Had a rear caliper stuck on the commander got the laser temperature gauge out, hundreds of degrees hotter than the other sides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think 99% of all the ones I ran across, jeep or not, were clogged exhaust, or a bad TPS or stuck brakes. A bad transmission / clutch would show a high rpm from slippage.

LOL, its going to rain, we both agree, so it must be the Cat!!!

LOL, I vaguely remember a credentials battle we had over who was right on a topic ages ago. I think you won the what was wrong battle.:laugh3:
hah yeah could be.... never know though, rare for anyone to post the fix.

Honestly, it's a crapshoot at best, diagnosing peoples car problems on the forums... they rarely describe the symptoms accurately.

Five different failures can cause the same symptom, and people tend to try and fix the symptom, not the failure.

hah yeah could be.... never know though, rare for anyone to post the fix.

Honestly, it's a crapshoot at best, diagnosing peoples car problems on the forums... they rarely describe the symptoms accurately.

Five different failures can cause the same symptom, and people tend to try and fix the symptom, not the failure.

Sounds typical of the pharmacy and medical industry, MDs, it must be second nature for humans?

"and people tend to try and fix the symptom, not the failure"

OEM XJ jeeps are no exception. People need more Tech background LOL. Start maybe in gradeschool

Back