• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 XJ No Crank

Ben824

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, I need some diagnosing thoughts. My 97 XJ has had a case of sudden onset no-crank no start. Fired up this morning no issues at all. I have had no starting issues recently. I go to start it today to leave work to grab lunch and boom nothing. I have full power with the turn of the key but no crank. I ran down the fuses and they are fine. I had a co-worker turn the key and I swapped and checked the solenoid in the PDC and it clicks so its working. I can take a screw driver and jump terminals on the solenoid on the starter and it fires right up. With the solenoid in the PDC under the hood clicking, that doesn't lead me to believe its the famous Neutral Safety Switch issue.

So, would this be a new starter or am I looking at a bad ignition switch?

Ok I cleaned the NSS just to rule it out because the Jeep is 19 years old and it's never been replaced or cleaned. That did not fix it. I broke out the old trusty volt meter and tested the trigger wire on the solenoid on the starter and had someone turn the key to the start position and I have no power down there so the trigger wire is not getting power. So would this be ignition switch? Like I said before all the fuses and solenoids are good.

Ok well since there was no help here I spent the extra time tracking this down. I bought a new ignition switch incase my findings determined I needed it. I pulled the trim off the steering column and I pulled the plug from the ignition switch and I jumped the two leads for the hot wire and the starter trigger wire to see if I had a connection issue in the wire under the dash like a dislodged pin from when I pulled my dash to do my heater core. I had zero issues jumping the lead pins for the wires at the flu so I did not have a wiring issue. After checking all the other relays and fuses yet again, I determined the ignition switch was the issue. I swapped the switch and at first it didn't work. My idiot self did not remember to put the relay back in the PDC. I finally remembered and it started a few times but strangely it was inconsistent and eventually stopped. I took the original switch apart because I was curious to what went wrong inside. Well its VERY simple circuit, no circuit board or resistors. Just copper leads. So I was baffled as to what went wrong. I swapped the old switch back in and nothing. I swapped the new switch in and nothing. I did this one more time and finally all of a sudden it worked perfectly with the new switch. I have no idea what changed but it works now.

well.. the switch does not directly activate the starter.
The switch provides power to the starter relay coil, and the relay activates, and sends the voltage to the starter solenoid.

The NSS provides the ground (in P or N) for the starter relay coil.

Last edited:
Back