• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission Take a Crap?

freerider15

NAXJA Forum User
96 XJ.

Bought one for the girlfriend,(second one in the last 2 weeks).

This one I'd like to keep. Previous owner said it had a manifold leak, and sounded to me kinda like it did as well.

Yesterday she drove the Jeep to work (about 35-45ish minutes from home).

She said when she was getting off the exit, it felt like it "lunged/jerked" a few times, and then died. She said it started right back up, and drove fine. She did say she heard a clicking noise like a card in bicycle spokes when it was happening. Didn't have a problem after, until today.

I've driven it to and from work several times (~6 miles round trip) and nothing felt off, no sound.

She wanted to try and show me the problem, so we went for a drive this evening.

Everything was going just fine, headed from home to I-25 and went up a few exits and came back, I did feel the "jerk" once. On our way back after exiting I could start to hear what she was talking about. I mistook it for sounding like the fan was nicking something, and it just needed to be moved.

So, about 5 miles from home, the sound got more noticeable, then all of a sudden...Jeep's not much moving.

You can rev it up, and with the whirring clicking sound...we were able to gimp home at about 20 miles per hour. On the final stretch, I floored it and it "caught" more, but that sound was just THAT much worse.

Seeing as the engine seems to be running fine, other than the "puff" sound of what I'm guessing is the exhaust manifold leak...I'm guessing trans?

Possibly a spline got stripped enough and the sound I'm hearing is what's left of the splines trying to engage?

I've had a TPS go out before, but it didn't make the fan hitting something/card in bicycle tires sound.

Check out this link.
should help.
sounds like a torque converter completely gave out to me. but that's just cos it happened to me in another automatic car.
either way. Test for electrical first. then move on from there.
Ive had a torque converter split in half. sounded sorta like what your describing.

http://mikestrawbridge.com/blog/2011...oubleshooting/

also check the fluid level..

Last edited:
Yeah, I plan on checking the fluid level, as well as popping the inspection cover to make the the torque converter bolts are tight.

Other than that, it seems like the next logical step would be dropping the thing and taking a look.

I can also take a look at the solenoids I suppose.

Back