• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rebuilding 231 - Planetary/Input Gear Tight?

notamos

NAXJA Forum User
Hey All. I'm installing new bearings/seals in my 231 & have a question.

I installed a new main shaft input bearing (front) w/ a Koyo 6010-NR bearing. Install was simple - tapped it in until the snap ring touched the front of the case. Spun fine.

Then, I put the input gear inside the planetary w/ the thrust washers & slid it in the case. The first part of the input shaft went through the bearing fine, but then I had to tap it w/ a rubber mallet to get it seated the entire way.

I've done a few rebuilds/sye installs over the years and never ran into this. Usually they (the planetary/input gear combo) just slide in and out for me. It was pre-lubed. Thoughts on this? Anything to worry about or not? In the NP231 service manual, it says to press the input gear/planetary w/ an arbor press. So, that made me feel a little better. Just haven't seen it before.

-NA

I think I had to lightly tap my input shaft in. It was also a brand new input, it still didn't take much. Does everything thing spin freely?

Back