• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help timing chain asap

ljobbins

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I just ripped everything apart to change the timing chain. The engine is at cylinder one tdc compression stroke verified by spark plug hole visual and the distributor. The key is straight up on the crank and the 0 mark was spot on the timing cover.

...now the cam sprocket is a complete 180 degrees off with it's mark in relation to the mark on the crank sprocket. I know as long as they are in perfect timing it is ok but i wanted to make sure before i take the old chain off and install the new one that mine isn't supposed to be installed like this.

I was taught and read that the marks should line up next to each other on the cam and crank sprockets. Right now they are both at around the 11 o'clock position.

The crank turns twice for every rotation of the cam. As long as you haven't turned the crank over once without the chain, just put the new chain and sprockets on and make sure the marks line up. It's really hard to screw this up. You don't even need to be at TDC compression to change the chain.

ok thanks that is what i figured as well, but better to check before i spend all my time installing everything just to have to rip it all apart again because i didn't double check.

If Im reading this correctly he is saying both marks are at 11o clock
Both marks need to line up. like sit right next to each other. like this
Turn the motor over one more time to reach the compression stroke and it'll line up.
TimingChain.jpg

url

Back