• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Narrow Trac 44's

saybye

NAXJA Forum User
anyone running these front n rear? came across a descent deal on a set with lockers and gears but they were under a s10. just wondering how they'll look under an xj, ive always used the full width stuff in the past...

I think it's because there are a million and one axle threads on all the different forums that could answer that question.
This is a good start. I haven't checked narrow trac but waggy axles are a very common swap and are covered in the link below.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=52219&highlight=dana+44+tech

Agree waggy axles are very common in the wide trac or full widths but I'm wanting info on the narrow trac stuff. That's an excellent link tho I read it a while back before doing a fullwidth swap!

Waggy axles are very similar to factory xj width. That is why they are a common swap. Just look at the numbers to see if they will fit. Nothing a little googling wont help you figure out. Narrow track isnt a term used very often here. A measurement of wheel mounting surface would be more helpful.

If you read the whole thread, you should be able to figure out if it will work. Smartest thing to do is measure as much as you can and compare to your current axle.

Agree waggy axles are very common in the wide trac or full widths but I'm wanting info on the narrow trac stuff. That's an excellent link tho I read it a while back before doing a fullwidth swap!

Since when are Waggy axles considered full width? They're only a little wider then stock. Full width is like 60's or older Ford 44's that are like 65"+ wide. Aren't the true narrow tracks from like CJs or whatever even shorter then stock XJ?

If you're talking about the 'narrow' early wagoneer stuff from the 70's, they are too narrow. 58" and change IIRC, which would be mighty tight trying to turn..

also, passenger side drive.

'80-'91 Wagoneer Narrow-Track Dana 44

Differential Location: Driver side
Lug Pattern: 6-on-5.5
Good For: At about 60 inches wide it's a good streetable swap for '87-'06 Wranglers and all XJs
Pros: Very common in wrecking yards, heavy-duty axle tubes, can be easily converted to 5-on-5.5 or even 8-on-6.5 lug pattern, cheap, good match for Isuzu rear axle
Cons: Avoid vacuum disconnect versions, six-lug pattern, spring-under housing, need to locate and weld on link brackets for TJ and XJ applications
Identified By: Stop sign like diff cover, spring-under housing, 60 inches wide

Tried that bud, there's one picture of a Comanche. Everything else is on full widths. But thanks, everyone loves a funny guy!

they didn't make a wide track 44 in drivers side diff for the wagoneer aka waggy. so everything in that first link is relevant. all the wide track waggys are passenger side diff. so you're welcome.

Back