• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 SE 5.3 Swap and Other Stuff

racer32

NAXJA Forum User
So I think I’ve made enough progress to start a build thread. I’m starting with a 98 SE model I bought several years ago at a government auction for way too much money. It had low miles though so whatever. I’m going to give a bit of backstory so skip this if you are bored easily.

I did the standard lift/wheels/tires/rack/bumper treatment about 8 years ago and it has been a great rig and has taken me everywhere I wanted to go. In the last couple years though the mileage seemed to get worse and worse and the power seemed to be dropping too. About a year and a half ago I started researching the 5.3 as an option. Frank Z had his thread and there were a few others that had somewhat documented the swap and it seemed doable but the price always put me off of it. LS/Vortec motors in my area are rather expensive compared to what other people have reported. I decided I was going to do a 5.3, I just needed to find a motor that was reasonably priced. Fast forward to last December and I came across an 05 Yukon for sale on craigslist listed as parts with only 140k on the clock. I emailed and asked how much he wanted for just the motor/trans and he said $2k for the motor/trans or $2k for everything. He was a repo guy and just wanted rid of the whole thing. We settled on $1800 for the rig and he even delivered it to my house. I pulled everything off that I wanted and sold a bunch of parts off of it to try and recoup some of the cost. I made back about half of what I spent on the rig.

Instead of going the Novak route on everything and chopping a hole in the hood I’m building my own bracketry and mounts and using an LS1 intake so as not to disrupt the attractive lines of the stock XJ hood. I personally think the Novak stuff is overpriced and have read more than a couple peoples comments that the motor mounts are a pain to deal with anyway. Plus I’m not rich and the Novak radiator, motor mounts, xfer case adapter and headers total well over $1600.

I’ll also be posting cost information and part numbers for everything I have purchased so it is available to future swappers.

Here are the threads I referenced a lot during my research phase
FrankZ:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1007477

PhotoJared:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1122178

blistovmhz Poverty Method:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1119575

xjbubba
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=945920

Huge shout out to the guys who have answered my questions over the last year. Especially JohnD. I have bugged him a lot via PM and he has answered all of my questions. Thanks John-

Blah blah… shut up and show some pics already

05 Yukon donor:

sm001_zpsizy0vlhr.jpg

Motor pulled
sm008_zpsj8lkjei9.jpg

Stripped and ready for cleaning
sm019_zpspwyve081.jpg

The heads were super gunked up with oil/crap
sm018_zpszye3ifm1.jpg

Piston cleaning
sm022_zpsbtce8j7k.jpg

Valve seats were pitted
sm023_zpsejvx4mwn.jpg

So I hand lapped them
sm024_zpsacpygzh6.jpg

...continued...

One of the exhaust manifold bolts broke off in the head so I tried drilling it and using an easy out and ended up breaking a small drill bit off in the broken off bolt. I thought I was screwed and then did some reading and found out carbide will cut through high speed steel. So I took the head over to dad's shop and he had a small diameter end mill I was able to plunge into the broken cluster**** I had created

sm026_zpsqrpypgbo.jpg

sm027_zpsxzylhnjj.jpg

New guide seals
sm034_zps7feykn09.jpg

Stock springs
sm035_zpszbinlnzg.jpg

And here is the motor partially assembled and painted. I used some high temp black metallic on the block and high temp "graphite" color on the valve covers and pan

sm041_zps1mddtqju.jpg

sm042_zpsqrafuqhs.jpg

I cut the connector off the back of the intake and made a bracket/plug to hold the MAP sensor. Mostly for clearance as some guys said it was too close to the firewall

sm045_zpsn8e26ds1.jpg

sm046_zpsok6dmkie.jpg

...continued...

Then it was time for a trans rebuild. I have a buddy that works at a trans parts warehouse so I got all the parts at near cost. $380 total including a new 1800 stall torque converter, Transgo SK shift kit, corvette servo and all aluminum pistons to replace all the plastic ones.

sm049_zpsjtlntwyp.jpg

Done
20160220_010049_zpsvanv8d62.jpg

I ordered motor side mounts from https://www.davescustomsunlimited.com/ And I am making my own frame side mounts.

sm052_zpslgvgsw7q.jpg

At this point I was committed to the swap :)

sm056_zpsvu6ieopt.jpg

I also decided it was a good time to swap in a new heater core

sm051_zps4w8k5jzm.jpg

I'll be posting more stuff later tonight. I need to sort through some more pics. I am also throwing in a long range fuel tank build into the mix which should be interesting. I have some untested mods to the transfer case I'll be making too so that should be interesting.

I'm trying to film stuff as I go too so if you are interested you can check out my channel. I'll be making a playlist with all the swap vids once I have more than 1. Should have another one up soon. I've been working on motor mounts and trans mount this past weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/user/jesscneal

Thanks for looking guys. More soon-

Jess

I forgot to add in the cost of a new valve body harness and the fluid for the trans rebuild. The pic below shows all of my costs up to today with part numbers. Some of this stuff is obviously specific to the year motor I have:

Costs%20as%20of%2003-28-16_zpszvygow94.png

This past weekend I worked on the new accessory brackets and finished the motor mounts and trans mount. The original accessory brackets I made did not work. The alt was too high and the GM steering pump pulley hit the steering box. So I'm going back to using a high mount Jeep PS pump. The Jeep hoses are a bolt in as is so if I need to replace them its an off the shelf item. The idler and tensioner are off of an 02 GMC Envoy.

Brackets are .25" aluminum
20160325_151538_zpsts6bla8f.jpg

Hand finished with a file, belt sander and sandpaper

sm087_zpsfvxzxoda.jpg

sm088_zpsae9qawyq.jpg

sm091_zpsrvazuxm0.jpg

Belt routing. I think I forgot to mention I'm using an L99 water pump. It lines up with the truck crank pulley.

sm094_zpshpqdcvnz.jpg

sm095_zpsmx3yye7m.jpg

sm096_zpsiguyskzy.jpg

Passenger motor mount
sm092_zpsob6o8jqf.jpg

sm093_zpsqcxrkygb.jpg

Driver motor mount
sm103_zpsibjralou.jpg

I cut the middle out of the Yukon trans cross member and spliced it into the XJ cross member. I'm using an OEM Yukon trans mount.

sm104_zpsozrldnht.jpg

sm105_zpsyku9hr6n.jpg

sm108_zpsvxdlqvyo.jpg

sm109_zpsp5y2ctho.jpg

I think I'm caught up on pics now. The motor/trans is supported 100% by the Jeep now which is a big step. I have to make some slight adjustments to the firewall by the back corners of the heads. Its a little tight but should be easy to clearance. I'll be posting another video on youtube tonight.

Jess

Unrelated to the topic - but that's the first ever tan manual door cards I have seen. I need a set of those doors so I can get rid of the power windows and locks on mine

Thanks for chiming in Frank. I'll have questions you may be able to answer later when I get to more wiring :)

Unrelated to the topic - but that's the first ever tan manual door cards I have seen. I need a set of those doors so I can get rid of the power windows and locks on mine
Weird... I've seen a few around my area. I'm actually planning on putting in aftermarket power windows at some point. Tired of the manual-

It's too bad you're not local, I'd offer to trade everything!

I have come close to swapping out to black door cards just to get rid of the power windows and locks.

It's too bad you're not local, I'd offer to trade everything!

I have come close to swapping out to black door cards just to get rid of the power windows and locks.

I've heard the factory power windows aren't that great which is why I bought one with manual everything but now I miss the convenience. I've got my parts picked out. Just gotta fit it into the budget

I made some progress yesterday and today on some smaller stuff. Got the air box mounts done and the 4" outlet welded on. Chopped up the factory GM plastic computer holder and made some mounts for it. Got the gas pedal modified too. Just have to drill an upper hole for the top bolt and that should be mounted and done. Disregard the booger welds. Not my prettiest work but they are plenty strong.

sm112_zps3giqny86.jpg

sm113_zps33zg3l7s.jpg

sm115_zps5b48kmrf.jpg

sm121_zpsn6vopnxh.jpg

sm122_zpsol0u69bu.jpg

sm123_zps7izjxsos.jpg

sm124_zpsh1hydand.jpg

sm128_zpsqpjrby9v.jpg

sm129_zpsiec36wgj.jpg

And I threw everything in the engine bay to check fitment and to get an overall shot of how everything fits
sm127_zps1mgds0fx.jpg

Thanks for looking-

Jess

I've been working on wiring a lot lately. What a pain in the ass.

Plug for the back side of the cluster:
sm131_zpsr86qyhpn.jpg

I ran all of my gauge signal wires through the main firewall connector. After thinning out the Jeep harness I had enough wires left over that were unused to do so.

Laying out the GM harness:
sm132_zpsdathp4nr.jpg

More later-

Nice build so far! What air box is that? That is exactly what I need to make my 5.3 intake work with my snorkel.

Thanks! I got this one off of an early 90's Mitsubishi Mirage but there are several early/mid 90's Mistu's that have this style of metal air box.

Thanks! I got this one off of an early 90's Mitsubishi Mirage but there are several early/mid 90's Mistu's that have this style of metal air box.

I meant to say Galant not Mirage but I'm sure they are similar. Eclispe, Talon, etc... should all be somewhat similar I think.

Back