• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mud Terrain or All Terrain

Cherustee

NAXJA Forum User
Recently purchased a 2000 XJ and am looking into getting a 4.5" lift and 32" tires (really wanted 33's but they said it wont work). Now I am torn between the BFG KM2's or the BFG KO2's. Just trying to see different reasons why one tire over the other. Thanks in advanced for any input.

Choose the tires that best fit your usage.
And you can run 33s with proper bump stops and minimal trimming.

I run all terrains (General AT2s) as I mainly DD and use my Jeep to get down old fire roads to kayak landings and campsites. They have always gotten me where I need to go.

I have the KO2s on my jeep, I really like them and they will last a lot longer than the KM2s

This is what has me leaning more towards the KO2's. I love how aggressive look of the KM2s and I have them on my JK and they have gotten me out of situations that I could not believe, but the XJ will be my daily driver and will see a lot more miles than my JK does and I know the KO2s will give me longer life. Maybe I'll just get the KO2s and a winch lol

I have never gotten good life out of bfg ats. A lot of people will tell you the same. I had km2s that were load range e and with religious rotations I got almost 60k out of them. But I hated that tire other than that. I've since gone to duratracs and couldn't be happier with them.

I have KM2 tread pattern (tirerecappers) and they are great in the mud. Snow, absolutely not.

Was considering going with an all-terrain when I got these, but I figured I'd keep going for full on mud tires.

Would like to try all terrains some time and see how it does.

I have KM2 tread pattern (tirerecappers) and they are great in the mud. Snow, absolutely not.

Was considering going with an all-terrain when I got these, but I figured I'd keep going for full on mud tires.

Would like to try all terrains some time and see how it does.

Well down in Florida snow is something I don't have to worry about. I do go out on trail rides at least once a month and with it always being so wet down here theres usually lots of mud.

I have bfg km2s and love them. 33x10.5x15 but plan on getting 35x12.5x17 Haven't been able to Offroad as much as I'd like but when I've gotten out there they've pulled me through mud holes people with 35x12.5s couldn't get though. You can feel the lugs at low speed 20mph and less.

This is all in Ohio with the mud and crappy slush. tire pressure is up to you. But with a rotation at every oil change they'll last. (I've had alignment issue but are lasting 35k+ with mid tred or so)

also the raised white letters are sexy too :spin1:

IF you want an MT tire, go with a GY MTR-k, Cooper STT, etc. Do not waste your time with the KM2's.

I have bfg km2s and love them. 33x10.5x15 but plan on getting 35x12.5x17 Haven't been able to Offroad as much as I'd like but when I've gotten out there they've pulled me through mud holes people with 35x12.5s couldn't get though. You can feel the lugs at low speed 20mph and less.

This is all in Ohio with the mud and crappy slush. tire pressure is up to you. But with a rotation at every oil change they'll last. (I've had alignment issue but are lasting 35k+ with mid tred or so)

also the raised white letters are sexy too :spin1:

What size lift do you have? I plan on doing a 4.5" lift and really wanted 33's but my local shop says I can only go 32's with that size lift. I planned on doing the bushwacker flat flares but they told me it still wont work.

They are full of crap
This is 33" and 3.5" lift.
0ec5750068fb694a30ce2d556a525cf3.jpg

While yes my front fenders are trimmed and rear is cut and fold, yours should have no issue with a little bump stop and trimming

AT's are great if you never drive them in mud, wet snow or ice. They never clear themselves and become slicks. Removed them and replace with Coopers on my XJ and Toyos on my truck. MT's might be better, can't speak from experience.

AT's are great if you never drive them in mud, wet snow or ice. They never clear themselves and become slicks. Removed them and replace with Coopers on my XJ and Toyos on my truck. MT's might be better, can't speak from experience.

I disagree.

My AT2s are the best tire I've ever used in snow or ice. Clean very well, don't pack up, and don't slip. I rarely use the 4x4 in the snow/ice and have even beaten the snow plows, breaking over a foot of fresh snow in 2wd for a few miles to town. Even in mud, some throttle clears them well. Except sticky or clay mud; I'm just screwed in that.

I disagree.

My AT2s are the best tire I've ever used in snow or ice. Clean very well, don't pack up, and don't slip. I rarely use the 4x4 in the snow/ice and have even beaten the snow plows, breaking over a foot of fresh snow in 2wd for a few miles to town. Even in mud, some throttle clears them well. Except sticky or clay mud; I'm just screwed in that.

I second that. Clay was the only thing that slowed down my skinny BFG A/Ts. They will last forever :patriot:

Living in the upper midwest I can tell you that AT's are better on packed snow and ice as they provide more contact surface area and are generally better siped. I am not guessing. AT's only lose out to MT's in, well, mud....and craggy rocks like weathered limestone. AT's are better in Moab slickrock, in winter conditions, and on pavement or smooth rock surfacwes. I do most of my wheeling in the northern Black Hills where there is alot of limestone but with my rear locker and front LS, I get plenty of traction so AT's are my choice for all around functionality

Living in the upper midwest I can tell you that AT's are better on packed snow and ice as they provide more contact surface area and are generally better siped. I am not guessing. AT's only lose out to MT's in, well, mud....and craggy rocks like weathered limestone. AT's are better in Moab slickrock, in winter conditions, and on pavement or smooth rock surfacwes. I do most of my wheeling in the northern Black Hills where there is alot of limestone but with my rear locker and front LS, I get plenty of traction so AT's are my choice for all around functionality

Mud tires are outright dangerous on hard packed snow and ice. You can add sipes and that does help a bit - have done this in the past - but the tread blocks are just too big.

When this set of tires wears out, I'm considering something like this if I stay with 32s. https://www.tirerecappers.com/tires/all-terrain-tires/lt2657516-retread-backwoods-at/

Maybe by then, I will be able to find new 33x9.5 tires!

Last summer, I had six weeks to visit Colorado and southern Utah.
The XJ's KOs were worn out and no new ones where available, due to the change to the new KO2.
I could not find any 33"x 10.50-15 tires except the new KM2s, so I got a set for the trip.
For the Rockies, in the summer, they worked great but we're slippery on wet roads and do always hold hard corners, on dirt or gravel, when driven fast.
The sidewall are very stiff, compared to the KOs and required very low air pressures to get them to soften and grip better.
The are noisy at low speeds but quiet down as the speed increases. The sidewall appears to be very resistant to cutting from sharp rocks.
It a good off-road tire but not an all-season tire IMO.

Returning home, I found the new KO2s would be available soon and ordered a set. When installed, the difference was night and day.
The KOs were smooth and very quiet, compared to the KM2s. The ride is much softer and at freeway speeds, better handling, plus good wet weather performance.
Offroad, they have worked as well as the KM2 but they have not been used in shape rocks yet, where the KM2s beefy carcass provides good protection against punctures.

In the dirt, with the KO2s, I can once again drive hard on dirt rodes without the worry of the rear end unexpectantly breaking away.

For a mostly trail rig, the KM2s are a good choice. For an all purpose rig, that is regularly street driven, the KO2s are my choice. Both are good tires, for their designed purposes.

Back