• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fog Lights. Im stumped

blu3fan

NAXJA Forum User
92 cherokee
So my fogs worked great.
one day they just stopped working.
any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Checked with a voltmeter at the switch.
0 volts.
checked the fuse under hood. not broken.

ideas ?

92 cherokee
So my fogs worked great.
one day they just stopped working.
any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Checked with a voltmeter at the switch.
0 volts.
checked the fuse under hood. not broken.

ideas ?

There should be several solenoids in the fuse block, figure out which one goes to the lights and swap it with the starter (should be the same part number) and see if they work.

5010d1249848161t-homebrew-jeep-mods-cimg0006.jpg

. Both the one under the hood and in the car under the glovebox have every fuse marked.
I read on naxja that there's a relay by the intake box.
Found that and swapped it with the starter relay. no change.
Is there another fuse under the hood for the factory fogs. this is just odd. both switch and lights have no power on voltmeter.

The one by the air box is the only fog light relay I'm certain of.
There are two relays under the kick panel drivers side, well the lower dash panel with the vent, near the ac box in the center of the vehicle. I can't remember what they did.

I would upload a pick but tapatalk says it is disabled for this forum.

Only other thing that would keep the fog lights from working is a fault in the light switch. Maybe it thinks the high beams are on when they're off.

Found the fuse, it's call auxiliary lamps, in the fuse box in the engine bay. Small fuse 15amp second to last on the row closest to the fender.

Tested pulling it in mine, lights but no fog light, put it back and let there be more light!

Im trying to find a wiring diagram of where it goes.
No volts at switch.
no volts at fuse
Swapped airbox relay with starter. no change.
Am I correct to say if I remove the fuse under the hood I should see continuity between the two fuse posts correct ?

any other ideas before I run new relay wiring ?

Ive traced some of the wires.
it appears the lights up front wire to the fuse box directly. then the fuse box area.
then back into the cabin.
I don't think they even interface with the relay on the drivers side airbox side.
not sure of this though

found this
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/found-neat-fog-light-wiring-diagram-but-whats-373637/

that seems to be the wiring for it.
if im not seeing continuity at the fuse on the box. im guessing the problem exists between there and power ? right ?

Last edited:
there is this, but it's missing the fuse box connect.
117368d1337068966-factory-fog-light-switch-wiring-simple-fog-lamp-wiring-diagram-1.jpg

I know that relay at the front drivers side.
http://i63.tinypic.com/adyhc0.jpg
The relays under the dash board one of them I think is fore the head light delay.

This is from the comanche club, not sure which year should be similar.
[img]http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc312/fiatslug87/IMG_21491.jpg
IMG_21501.jpg

I'm not with the cheerokee to night, wish I had tested the fuse to see if it was hot before the headlights came on. Which is weird because our has never worked without the headlights being on and yours has.

The only variable I can think of is wherever it connects to the headlight switches and if it is powered form there. I've had headlight switches plugs melt, and maybe that is what happened here.

Going to pull one of my old haynes books and see if the wiring diagrams have the fog lights.

Last edited:
So. I got to thinking. that you said the highbeams effected the lights turning on.
Being that mine always just worked. lights on or off. I wondered about what else is tied into that system.

My steering stalk does the high beams.
I know the cruise control has stopped working completely because of that stalk.
So....
as any man with tools will tell you.
There is no substitute for a hammer.
I tapped the stalk a few times. lightly... very lightly.
and voila. fogs turn on.
Ill be getting a new stalk very soon. But I knew it was something...
Hammers have always been my best friend.
But now that I have fixed this issue. I have another worse one lol. DEATH WOBBLE !!!
I changed all the tie rods. re-aligned her. and now the weak point appears to be the control arms. and trackbar bushing that are flexing.. not one is really bad. but allcontribute..
I made it better and worse at the same time.
The tie rods seemed to have cured the wandering issue. I got a 2" inch budget boost. and all its done is cause nightmares for suspension. 3rd set of tie rods and bushings in 5 years.
No more wandering. but the death wobble got so much worse.
Cant go over 45mph. cos at 50... oh man. Not fun. The last time I had death wobble this bad.... the track bar was cracked in half.
Its not one thing tho...
Its ball joints. control arms. and the track bar bushings now. all working together to take all my money lol..... eventually ill reach the point where everything is replaced right ??....

Last edited:
Glad you found the fog light issue. Hammer time!
People who don't understand it have never been in the midst of the mechanical beast.

had a very bad steering issue for many years, changed the steering gear several times, turned out the rebuilt steering was just as worn out as the original.
JY gear off a later model fixed it up. But I replaced everything in the factory suspension steering except for the ball joints, which I didn't do because it was so involved and in didn't have the tool for it. Now I've got the first part of the tool and need adapters to press them out.

What do ball joints do when they fail? I know they have more motion but how does it affect steering?
guess I want to know what it feels like when driving.
Got a odd feel to the steering when Turing to the right I'm trying to run down. Hard to describe. Trying to the left feels fine, to the right like in a curve it feels like it is mushy.

A little bit of slop in the gear I'm going to try to adjust slightly but j don't think it's anything to do with this problem and the only thing left is the ball joints.

BTW first death wobble i felt with was after a 3" lift to my old 85 XJ, turned out to be the wheel bearing. Still not as tight as the steering felt before the lift but I think it's down to the old lower control arm bushing. Upper came with the kit.
I'll trouble shoot that once I do the engine transmission transfer case swap I got planed to renew it for the 30th now 31st year, lost track of time with other emergencies and couldn't finish it last year.
Got a rebuilt motor ready, just need to finish the assembly, new intake and carburetor to figure out as well. Ax15 transmission siting by it, oh can't forget got to rebuild the 231, add the slip yoke eliminator and beefier 207 drive chain. Guess I see why it never got done last year.

Back