• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfercase Questions

SBpunk

NAXJA Forum User
1992 4.0 AX-15 NP231

First off not 100% sure what year this case is out of. I posted up some pics so hopefully you guys can help me out. Thinking is a NP242 from a 1996/97.

Question is with the short input shaft on the AX15 transfer cases would a medium input need to be swapped out or is there enough room in the Ax15 to run it without a problem? Ive read a little bit on it but nothing definitive. The case I have in the pictures came out of a 93 XJ but the shifter bezel was a 231. I'm pretty sure it was swapped in at some point.

Ive dug around on their website but was hoping to get some real live application on if a medium shaft fits into a small without damaging the transmission.

Is definitely a later model r-case, as it has a sealed rear output shaft. Hoave you manually shifted and confirmed it is in fact an NP242? Should be 5 positions.
I see the medium input as a non-issue.

I put a later model 242 like that on the back of my 95 ax15 in my previous 2dr. No issue with the medium length shaft. That was a great setup :thumbup:

Thanks everyone. I measured the output shaft (I think) and it came out to be .750 so I might've been freaking out for nothing. The 231 I have in my jeep now is the tailbone type rear driveshaft. Hoping that isn't going to be an issue? Pretty excited since I've been looking for a 242 all winter. Picked one up from a WJ not knowing about the speedo gear. Fun times.

This part from where it meets the case to the end is .750. I didn't think they made any short input shafts on the later models?

The sealed rear output is better in a lot of ways, including if you happen to lose a rear drive shaft. Makes it easier for Hack n' tap as well, as you do not need to seal the output.
Thanks everyone. I measured the output shaft (I think) and it came out to be .750 so I might've been freaking out for nothing. The 231 I have in my jeep now is the tailbone type rear driveshaft. Hoping that isn't going to be an issue? Pretty excited since I've been looking for a 242 all winter. Picked one up from a WJ not knowing about the speedo gear. Fun times.

Back