• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Integrating horn into aftermarket keyless entry system

LID_JS

NAXJA Forum User
Sorry if I am in the wrong section, figured it would be under modified since it's not really OEM... I searched threads to no avail on my question. I have a 99 Jeep Cherokee. Instead of paying $20 for a factory key fob and $70 to have it programmed I just bought an aftermarket keyless entry system with 2 remotes for $25.

http://www.amazon.com/Proline-REC43T-Basic-Keyless-System/dp/B00C92O5KS

Most people simpy take out the original rke module located in the overhead lamp and wire in the new one. It is 4 wires to tie in to the factory harness for basic lock / unlock with the remotes.

I want to take it a step further and make it honk (like the factory) whenever I lock it with the fob. Taking a look at the wiring diagram:

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/alarmdetail/1212.html

Door lock is Orange/Purple (-) and the horn is Black/Red (-). Couldn't I just combine those two wires together since they are both negative? Correct me if i'm wrong. Of course I wouldn't be able to test this out until Monday, however I just want to be sure there's a chance that it could work out.

Tap into the door lock actuator circuit to trigger a relay that toots the horn.

There may also be a seperate output on the main module that you can use to trigger a relay.

I received my package today, $25 and four wire splices later and I have a working keyless entry system! I tapped into the horn wire that was in the original RKE harness and while it works, when I tap the lock button on the receiver, it sounds the horn for a little too long, around two seconds. For now I unhooked the horn wire until tomorrow when I can mess with it a little more... It is 11 at night and I don't think my neighbors would like my horn going off in the middle of the night:roll:

I would recommend it. Took me ten minutes to wire it up. I just have to take my door panels off now and lube up all of the lock mechanisms and what not. Passenger always work, drivers is intermittent and rear I have to manually lock. All actuators are good though, however.

I am going to ditch the horn idea and look into wiring up a relay to flash the parking lights as suggested above. Thanks for all the feedback guys!

Back