• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ANL Fuse kit question

shmicah

NAXJA Forum User
99 XJ 4.0 automatic

My battery terminals keep corroding up instantly and are starting to fray - so I figured I'd run new cables. However, the ANL kit is throwing me off. I've been reading through kelleyswip FAQs and trying to understand the purpose of ANL Fuse retrofit kit.

Is this basically a fuse kit for if you upgrade your alternator beyond the OEM level, and so you add this fuse kit in-line for extra protection? Or do you need it no matter what if you plan on running new, lower gauge wire to your PDC? Or am I in left field here?

I have the tools I need at work to make my own cables - so I'm gonna go that way and save some money. If I'm leaving my current alternator and have no real plans of upgrading it (amp-wise)- I don't need to worry about the ANL kit, correct?

The purpose of the ANL fuse kit is to replace the factory fuselink in the wiring which is gotten rid of when new cables are made. Fuse link is a wire designed to burn like a fuse.

The ANL fuse is a high amperage replaceable fuse.

I'd recommend it. Mount the kit anywhere you what and make the cables to fit

Ah ok, and so the fusekit is installed between the alternator output and PDC?

That is correct. On '97+ models (not sure about earlier models), there is a spot on the outside front of the PDC that should fit the ANL fuse. Wire one side to the alternator and the other side to the battery and any accessories.

Back