• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what would you do?

jmg222

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Finally got my Xj ready to hit the trails -- it's an amalgamation of good and questionable ideas -- I've beuilt it up over the last ten years or so, and some of my early choices were ... questionable.
I'm running a "super" d35, 4.11 gears, Detroit lockers front and rear, about 2.5 inches (maybe 3, not sure if I measured correctly), 32" tires, full skid plates from front to differential, and, of course, a chevy 350 motor.

I'm debating leaving all as is for now and just enjoying it over the summer -- I dopn't think the diff will break, given that I'm already running 32" tires, and I'll just have to take it easy....

on the other hand, I'm in the middle of build fever, I'm thinking of putting in a 8.8 rear/arb and upgrading to 35" tires. Which will likely mean by the time I pick everything out, get everything setup, get the help to install it, I probably won't be wheeling until late summer/early fall (work always eats up free time).

Anyway, I'm leaning towards just leaving as is, spend the time over the summer picking and buying what I want, and lining up time at a shop to install everything later this year...

What do you think?

Drive it 'till it drops! Then, have your friends drag it to the paved roads. AAA won't cover you off the pavement.

Bolt in an 8.25 out of a 4cyl xj so you get 4.10s add a lunchbox locker and your set

I'm either going to run it 'till the super-35 breaks, or drop in a ford 8.8 now.

If you build the axle off the jeep, you can still wheel and when ready, your jeep is down for an afternoon while you swap the new axle in.

This is true... like the way you think... best of both worlds :cheers:

any D35 behind a V8 is just a catastrophe waiting to happen. if it's a legit "super35" kit i'd try to sell it before you nuke it. someone building on a budget will grab it for a few bucks. build an 8.8 or even a 14B and get it in as soon as possible.

I think the Detroit Lockers help the D35. Many of the problems are the open carriers failing from side/spider gears blowing apart. It's still a weak axle but the locker removes a known trouble spot.

Drive it til it breaks. Build the 8.8 out of vehicle the way you want it.
Then if the shit hits the fan, swap or store it til you decide to swap it later.

Drive it til it breaks. Build the 8.8 out of vehicle the way you want it.
Then if the shit hits the fan, swap or store it til you decide to swap it later.

that's what I'm thinking.

My thoughts? Swap the 35 for a cheap 4.10 8.25 so that you can sell the super 35 and wheel with no worries about losing investment. and use that money to build your 8.8 right then when the time comes, sell the 8.25 and throw the 8.8 under

My thoughts? Swap the 35 for a cheap 4.10 8.25 so that you can sell the super 35 and wheel with no worries about losing investment. and use that money to build your 8.8 right then when the time comes, sell the 8.25 and throw the 8.8 under

thanks, I think I've made up my mind on this-- since I'm only running 32"s, for now I think the axel will hold... I'll run it, build the 8.8, and then install it at the end of the season.

Back