• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Unusual Renix Headlights and turn signals died problem

Ecomike

NAXJA# 2091
NAXJA Member
This is a Wagoneer, 4 head light bulbs, two are high beam two low beam, different bulbs, they do not interchange. one each had a hole in the glass, but they tested good. I had lost all head lights and the turn signals. Still had flashers and running lights and brake lights. one brake light bulb was bad on the brake light side of the bulb, and one front running light worked on flasher mode but not turn signal mode.

First thought was the head light switch, they are notorious for going bad. But I checked the head light bulb sockets in the harness for grounds and power, and both the white and black wires at the head light bulb (bulb disconnected) were all a dead short to ground with the head light switch off.

?????????????? Looked every where for blown fuses and damaged wires, no joy. So I got thinking maybe the short is in the head light switch?

BINGO!!!!
:D New head light switch and I now have head lights. Got to get one of those amazon harness kits on this rig like I did the 85 and 89.

But still no turn signals. Odd that both seemed to die the same day. Also the turn signal power (as well as about 5 other loads) bypass the ignition switch on this rig, and the 30 amp toggle switch and other loads all work fine. So I guess the steering column switch needs cleaning????

I have flashers and the two round flasher-blinker relays both work on the flasher line. So it is not the blinker relay. Anything else it could be????

check the connector under the airbox?

For the blinkers? I have had the air box out about 10 times the last two weeks, so we might have disturbed that area Bleeding MC/combo valve for the brakes. Is there just one connector under there?

Thanks!!!!

theres a 8 or 10 way connector for the header panel right there... common corrosion point..

All the turn sigs not working or just the fronts?

theres a 8 or 10 way connector for the header panel right there... common corrosion point..

All the turn signals are dead. But the bulbs and wiring seem to be OK in the emergency flasher mode to all the turn signal bulbs front and rear. The steering column switch feels normal, does not feel broken. Tested the flasher style relay on the turn signals doing a swap with the working emergency flasher relay, and confirmed the relay was good already

by-passed the ignition huh? I'd be hunting supply power to the turn sigs. you can check for it at the flasher...

by-passed the ignition huh? I'd be hunting supply power to the turn sigs. you can check for it at the flasher...

Yep got tired of the AC blower on high speed burning up ignition switches every 6 months. So I ran a 10 ga wire from the back side of the fuse box to a new 25 amp dash toggle switch. On the Wagonner I have (ltd ed) they have the e-door locks, the e-windows, the windshield wiper motor, the AC blower and the turn signals, and I think the radio all wired to one 20 amp fuse and 12 or was it 14 gauge wire to the ignition switch. I also installed a 25 amp in line breaker in the new circuit. That was about 10 years ago and about 60,000 miles ago, with no problems since in that area. I just have to remember to turn it off when I get out the car. No harder than remembering to grab the keys LOL.:D

I also have to remember to turn it on to get the turn signals on. But i almost always turn the blower fan on early and that reminds me to turn the switch on :)

Thanks I will check them both!!!

ALL, I cleaned the outside of that connector but there was no way to pull it apart to clean the guts, it is fused.

Now I have no dash lights, after installing the second head light switch? Not sure how long the dash lights have been out. Maybe since day one.

I still need to check the base of the column and for power to the flasher. Note to self :)

did you get the ground wire re-attached to the headlight switch body? It'e separate from the main harness. dome and dimmer won't work without it

did you get the ground wire re-attached to the headlight switch body? It'e separate from the main harness. dome and dimmer won't work without it

Don't know for sure. Sounds like a good possibitly.:D I have a friend helping me do to my severe rheumatoid arthritis disability. And he is not always the best at that sort of think. Especially electrical.

Always wondered what that ground was for :)

After trying everything else I replaced the turn signal switch today an still no signals, even after turning on the ignition switch, after some harsh words with my jeep I remembered the by pass switch, LOL. So the new turn signal switch solved the problem after all :D

Finally after 3 tries, got a good head light switch (2 new ones failed) that has held up for 3 days :eek:, we will see how long it lasts. One was damaged during the install by my helper :tears: but sometimes one has to do the best they can with what they have. I fixed the damaged one and saved it.

Thanks for all the help folks!!!! It took about 2-3 hours total to swap the turn signal switch

Back