• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

anyone know where I can get 4" front bumpstops for an xj?

jmg222

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
need for an 88... must be losing it tonight, I've checked all the usual suspects and can't seem to find anything.

due to coil bow... if you only extend the factory bump stop you can have your bump stops contact the spring, sometimes removing them from their post. because of this, i like to add bump stops to the bottom of the spring perch as well. simply drill and tap it for a 3/8" course thread bolt. a lot of people stack hockey pucks, they are 1" tall.

Hockey pucks will only last a little while till they get hard and crack, get yourself some aluminum or hard plastic(delran(spelling)

Prothanes FTW.. you will probably want 6 ring ones as they are progressive, you can always trim them down if necessary.

this is driving me nuts --- I don't have much experience with suspension, so can someone explain why vendors list their bumpstops as "extended," but don't state overall length?

I'd prefer not to do hockey-pucks-- since I'm replacing the shocks as well, I may as well use something designed to be bump stops. doesn't anyone make a 3-4" bumpstop?

I was going to turn some custom aluminum bump stops on the Lathe at work, but hockey pucks were on sale for .99 each. They are a few years old, and still holding strong. Any suitable round material that you can drill a bolt hole through will work.

this is driving me nuts --- I don't have much experience with suspension, so can someone explain why vendors list their bumpstops as "extended," but don't state overall length?

Because its complicated, bumpstops arent a high dollar item, so why bother your tech support with idiots calling in wondering why a 4" long bumpstop hits their coils.... or COUNTLESS OTHER issues.

Anyone who has two brain cells to rub together, understands how bumpstops work, and can figure out how to work with what theyve got. The more info you give people, the more dumbass assumptions and stupid questions they send back at you... I really, REALLY dont blame them!

edit: Colorful language not directed at anyone in particular... beyond offroaders in general.

Last edited:
There's gotta be some better solutions.
I need some ideas for bump stops myself, just put a 6.5" lift on my XJ.
Does anyone have pictures of what they built or bought for the front and rear?

Because its complicated, bumpstops arent a high dollar item, so why bother your tech support with idiots calling in wondering why a 4" long bumpstop hits their coils.... or COUNTLESS OTHER issues.

Anyone who has two brain cells to rub together, understands how bumpstops work, and can figure out how to work with what theyve got. The more info you give people, the more dumbass assumptions and stupid questions they send back at you... I really, REALLY dont blame them!

edit: Colorful language not directed at anyone in particular... beyond offroaders in general.

no offense-- I know this is a newb question, so flame away. I would normally just do this myself, and would have no problem with slipping a few hockey pucks in between the springs temporarily until I get more lift later this year. But I need new shocks, don't have the tools to replace them, and to be honest, after all the crap I've done on that money pit over the past few months I'd rather just pay someone to do this little project. And since I'm having the shocks done, may as well have the bump stops replaced at the same time. I just figured instead of handing him some shocks and a bunch of hockey pucks, I'd rather hand him shocks and some bumps that were actually made for the job.

I weep for the future of humanity.

In about 1.26 seconds, Google showed me a JKS product, and some hockey pucks. Any suitable round material that you can drill a bolt hole through will work.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

I weep for the future of humanity.

In about 1.26 seconds, Google showed me a JKS product

d@mmit.
I was searching for "xj bump stop"
that's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it ...

Last edited:
Been running hockey pucks in my 1 ton rig for the past 4 years, I've had to replace 2 in that time. There simple, adjustable, cheap and work

Back