• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electrical nightmare

Kego814

NAXJA Forum User
Okay so I've read some things relating to no dash lights, no shifter lights and my locks only working for 1 click. I got to the shifter light and applied voltage to the bulb at the positive terminal. The bulb lit. Broad daylight so dash may also have lit. I don't know. But eventually the radio shut down and pretty sure I kicked the power probe breaker. As I see it I have a power to ground short. Any common spots to look at for a short? Headlights work. Fuses are good. I have a 99 xj and a spare xj for parts. Let me know what you guys think

I did find that one of my horns was disconnected and I did reconnect it prior to my issue and the horn still doesn't work so I'll try disconnecting it and report back with results

Driver door and tailgate wire harness issues are very common. That will short 12 volts to ground. Inspect and test for chafed wire insulation, broken wires, and failed wire splice.

The boot in the drivers door in my old XJ (98 Euro spec diesel) would not stay attached exposing the wires running to the speaker, locks, Windows and mirror. My buddy and I pulled the door apart and rewired the entire door. Then I found some old (very stiff, maybe 5/8" diameter) hose and wrapped it around the opening in the door so it wouldn't rub the wires anymore. Problem solved...

what year is your Jeep? and have you looked at Cruiser 54's ground refresh? as i worked through it on my MJ i got almost all electrical functionality back.

Well. I think I know what happened. I muffed up my stereo wiring. I, without paying attention to what I was actually doing, wired the stereo dim wire to the ground. Frying the dim wire, which is also the wire at some point, where it splits to my shifter lights and my cluster. I haven't made the logical connection to my fried wire and the door locks but it worked before I turned my head lights on. I have no blown fuses which surprises me unless this end of the circuit is after the fuse. At this point I see the logical move to be add a new wire and run it where it needs to go. I just suck at reading electrical prints. I used a short finder and if I used it correctly, I have pinned the short to just behind the knee plate. As stated above, I'd feel better just running a new wire to where it needs to go. Can someone tell me where to run the wire and what terminals need made and where?

Check fuse 6 in your junction block. If good check connector C201 pin 43 for power with dimmer all the way up.
Passenger kick panel. Forward most row of fuses 6th one down.

C201 is under driver side dash (center) probably near the Transmission control module. dimmer goes to C201 pin 43 and after splits off (at splice s215 and feeds everything (radio, switches, instrument cluster)

S215 (the splice location) looks like it is right after C201 connector.

Factory service manual is amazing!

Back