• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gauge issues.

tdsigmon

NAXJA Forum User
Would like a second set of eyes on my issue. My radio, gauges and odometer all went out in my 98 Cherokee

Previously my gauges would go out intermittently and a good smack would bring them back, no big deal.

So here's the current situation all airbag, check engine, check gauges, etc lights in the dash work. However all of my gauges (you know the things with needles :jester: ) do not work.

Also on an interesting side note my odometer was very dim without my headlights on. Radio gets power but doesn't work possibly unrelated.

Now things I have tried
-pulled dash and cleaned both plugs with dielectric grease.
-cleaned g103
-cleaned (a rusty corroded) fender ground

Some useful info I can't find in my Haynes manual or online would be at least the layout of the pin connectors on the gauges so I know what I'm testing, and even better would be if someone checked their resistances for the pins on the cluster or gas that info.

I know I'm asking a lot, but any help at all is more than appreciated. :dunno: :confused: :yelclap:

Yeah I've beat on it And pulled the plugs up and checed the wires on it to no avail. Curious to know if the odometer itself stores the miles or of it is stored on the ECU?

Also tried the gauge self diagnostic test. Nothing at all happened.

Is it possibly ignition switch related? If it's not in there just right my AC doesn't work....?

Last edited:
If the cluster self-test does not work, I would suspect the cluster is faulty. Mileage is stored in the cluster and it can be altered. Ignition switch failure can happen. The repair is not difficult or expensive.

Not what I wanted to hear, but I'm planning on going to the u-pull it and grab a (hopefully) working cluster and see if that fixes it. Will let y'all know what fixes it. Considering doing more research and making a thread to help others diagnose this problem seems to be a few scenarios that cause similar problems. Thanks for the help

The Sentry system (remote door locks) is tied into the gages also...I found this out the hard way when my gages went out and none of the traditional methods could solve the issue. The Sentry module is located up in the overhead console. Mine got corroded and shut down all the gages. After I cleaned up the corrosion on the module, all the gage problems went away.

So I fixed it. The fuse that goes to your radio dome lights AC and gauge cluster must've been dieing slowly. All of those things went out at different times. Only checked it again because I accidentally crossed my positive and negative with my tester needles and knew it was popped.

Thanks for being patient with me and all the help.
That lung HD link is saved in my bookmarks because of this mess haha definitely a good resource.

If anyone else has this problem I say change the fuse even if it appears fine. Mine was the first small fuse under the hood all the way to the drivers side if you are looking at it from the front of the heep.
Then clean the pins in the back of the gauge cluster (gauge cluster just pulls out once you remove the 4 screws around it).
Then I'd clean the fender ground and the ground located near the airbox. There are two kinda tinda tucked up under the harness near the airbox, one of them is g108 which goes to the radio and gauges cluster.
:D

Back