• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

recommend me a good shock for my 88xj

jmg222

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Putting bump stops in, figured I may as well replace the 10+ year old rusted out Rusty offroad shocks -- Mild lift (I think 4"), just looking for a decent shock for mild offroad.

Thanks!

I have run several sets of Doetsch DT-3000 at different lift heights. I gave away a set of 6 month old Ranchos that rode like crap. BDS shocks ride nicely in my CJ-7 and I would consider them for an XJ.

How much do you want to spend?

Are you cheap? or are you ok spending some money for good stuff?

Doetsch DT-8000's are probably the cheapest I'd go at $50/shock. Thats what I run.

Or you could go with Bilstein 5100

How much do you want to spend?

Are you cheap? or are you ok spending some money for good stuff?

Doetsch DT-8000's are probably the cheapest I'd go at $50/shock. Thats what I run.

Or you could go with Bilstein 5100

I'm not looking for cheap, but also not looking for remote-reservoir baja shocks. I woudln't mind spending up to 150/shock if it were a really decent set--- I'd like to be around 100/shock or less.

Ok now witch ones would you run with bar pin eliminators? Arent the 5100s vulcanized on there? Im also in the market for shocks.id like the 5100s but dont want to ruin them trying to get the pin out

OME for 3" plus will give you a cushy ride for about $100-110 each. Will hear the washboard won't feel it, takes the bone jarring out of rocky trails, but won't give you as firm a highway ride as a set of SensaTracs.

Last edited:
seems like 5100s are the way to go. they work fine with a 3" lift?

I don't know, but most folks looking at Bilstein's want to feel the bumps.... I'm happy with my OME shocks. As close to my 90 Range Rover as I've ever had where you could drink a cup of coffee on the fire trails around my home... you knew the live axles, shocks, and coils were moving all about, but for the driver and passenger is was smooth sailing. If you want to feel the ride, buy the Bixstein's... and if you really want to feel it get cheap shocks.

thanks, I went with the bilstiens.

I don't know, but most folks looking at Bilstein's want to feel the bumps.... I'm happy with my OME shocks. As close to my 90 Range Rover as I've ever had where you could drink a cup of coffee on the fire trails around my home... you knew the live axles, shocks, and coils were moving all about, but for the driver and passenger is was smooth sailing. If you want to feel the ride, buy the Bixstein's... and if you really want to feel it get cheap shocks.

The difference there is driving at 6 mph vs 20 mph. ;) Where you feel the ride on Bilsteins you're feeling the bumpstop on OME's. Not that I am picking on OME - they make good products which have their place. I guess fire roads is about that place too.

Back