• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Making a Group 65 battery fit!

Calikov

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all, I'm new here. Figured I might as well share what I did to make a larger group 65 battery fit in my XJ. So hopefully some will find this helpful!

My 1989 had a group 58 battery in it, and it finally got so weak it needed replacing. Went down to the battery supplier my work uses to see if they had any QC 2nd's (brand new battery with blemishes for cheap) that would fit.

They had no group 58's. I didn't want a smaller battery so I looked bigger. They had a group 65 AGM which is a little under 2 inches longer and an inch wider with about the same height.. so I figured might as well make it fit since I'm getting such a big battery for 50 bucks!

It was a tight fit in the end. I had to remove the battery tray, cut the edge off the two closest sides to the front of the jeep, and drill two more holes 1.5" off of the original mounting holes, and cut the bump off the bottom of the tray. (I will get pics if that is a little confusing). This moved the battery tray back and towards the engine.

I had to bend the radiator hose guard (or whatever that metal piece is) away from the battery to be able to install it. I was able to re-use one of the battery hold down bolts built into the tray and the existing bolt on the top of the radiator support to hold down my home made hold down strap made out of 1/8x1.5" angle iron and an old AMD65 stock I chopped up for another project.

The battery is secure enough I can grab it and it will shake the whole jeep but won't move! :D

IMG_0830_zps7insprae.jpg

IMG_0831_zpszbkzdves.jpg

IMG_0832_zps9cbdkuj6.jpg

May be a little close for comfort to the AC pump, but I don't think it will be an issue till the motor mounts fall apart :weird:

Let me know what you think! Thanks!

Last edited:
@POSJ: For me? Mainly a cheap battery, but also this battery puts out far more CCA than the group 58 ever did. I hope to take some load off of my alternator when winching.

The newer XJ's use Group 34 batteries. I used to run the Kirkland/Interstate Group 34 that was 800CCA. I run 34/78 800CCA batteries in mine.
Smaller frame, but higher output.
I have an OLD Optima Red Top in my MJ, only cost me 20$. Still runs strong, but I wouldn't go to a new Optima. I have the Carquest/Autocraft 34/78-4 Silver battery in my XJ. I understand not everyone wants dual terminals, but it makes it easier for adding accessories without the necessity of a junction box of sorts.
Delco 78DTPS and Motorcraft 3478 both 800CCA batteries typically retail 119 or less.

Group 34 is probably the sweet spot. The higher end ones will handle more discharge/recharge cycles. This is important if you're going to do a lot of dry camping. look at the Reserve Capacity and 20AH/10AH ratings.

Companies like Ruffstuff make nice battery boxes for them which can be adapted to the jeep with a simple u-shaped bent bracket welded to the bottom that will pick up the factory holes.

Back