• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

This does not look too good to me… Identify?

BrianDunning

NAXJA Forum User
This shot was taken from behind the front diff looking forward. What is (or was) that hose going into it, which appears to have been completely shorn away for some time?

Hose.jpg

That's just the breather got the front diff. It's just rubbing on your driveline, as long as your not going through water it's ok but it's easy to replace and just use some zip ties to hold it up and out of the way.

That is exactly what mine looked like in my '00 before I fixed it. I just spliced in a new piece of line with a couple hose clamps and a connector, wrapped the section where it wore in some new shield material, ran it up into the engine compartment. Bought a new breather just cause mine was missing the top part, OCD is a b$#ch, and called it a day. Just bought another breather yesterday cause I am getting my rear diff one out of the uni-body and running that up into the engine compartment too. Also plan on doing the tranny and transfer case ones also assuming I can find them.

If you get into a lot of water, I would look at replacing your diff fluid since I think water can get in through there. I doubt they put a check valve since they expect the breather to go all the way into the engine compartment.

Interesting that hose looks huge, my 87 only has one breather hose, 1/2" on the AW4 tranny. It has been a pain to get out of harms way. It has taken out the O2 sensor wiring and CPS wiring on occasion....when it got attacked.

Back