• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

PS pulley alignment

2T2-Crash

NAXJA Forum User
Is there a good way to ensure the power steering pulley is properly aligned?
I used search and couldn't find anything.

I replaced my power steering pump and pulley and am not quite sure about the alignment. I get some squeaking during a hard turn, and it appears the back edge of the belt has a slight bit of rub. I'd like to get this thing lined up properly before I return the pulley tool to auto zone... and before I eat up a belt.

If the back edge is wearing, just tighten it down some more. You won't need the tool to do that. But, it shouldn't change depending on how hard you are turning. Are you sure the pump is securely tightened?

If the back edge is wearing, just tighten it down some more. You won't need the tool to do that. But, it shouldn't change depending on how hard you are turning. Are you sure the pump is securely tightened?

yep, I made sure of it and rechecked it after a couple of drives.
I'll give the tool another crank down to push it a hair.

yep, I made sure of it and rechecked it after a couple of drives.
I'll give the tool another crank down to push it a hair.

You shouldn't have any trouble. I just replace mine and wasn't paying attention and cranked it all the way down and the pulley rubbed on the pump. It was obvious and I never cranked it that way but you should have plenty more adjustment to get you flush like Digger said.

If it squeals only during a turn, I'd suspect the belt isn't tight enough.

It's more of a chirp, and is not common. I will double check that as well.
As soon as I have my new electronic ignighter for my 67 beetle installed I will be working on my gearbox to set the preload properly. I will check the belt tension the. As well.

I had an alignment issue when I threw the 96 up PS pump and adjuster into my 88 MJ. I just adjusted pull alignment with the pulley remover/installer tool. Haven't had an issue since.

Back