• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I need help re-centering my front axle.

bigalpha

Jeep has a budget boost with soil spacers in the front (this was installed when I bought it). I've replaced a bunch of steering and suspension components and I'm finding that the driver coil is hitting the trackbar bracket.

I've read through a lot of threads about this but I've been unable to resolve the issue.

I've tried re-torquing lower control arms, checking all connecting points for play, reinstalling new track bar, etc. Nothing has made a difference. When I unbolt the trackbar and turn the steering wheel to center the axle, it's at least an inch off at the bolt hole.

I have an album of pictures HERE. Any other suggestions would be great.

A budget boost generally won't throw things off that much, but if you center the axle and it's that far off, you should invest in an adjustable trackbar. You can redrill the axle side mount to a point, but 3/4" is probably the max for that one.

On another note, you should really get some jackstands to set it in instead of relying on the jack alone. The rule of thumb when working on a vehicle only supported by a jack is to never stick anything under there you're not willing to lose...

The axle is pretty far off alignment, so I'd rather go with a new Trackbar if that's what ends up needing to happen. Considering I'm barely above stock, I'm concerned on why the axle is pushed to the passenger side anyways.

I do have jackstands, but I didn't use them because I was just taking pictures. I never work on it while it's supported by jack only. I have no desire to squished in the driveway.

A budget boost with say a 2" lift would normally pull the axle to the drivers side. An adjustable track bar that's set about 1/2-1" longer than stock would normally re-center the axle. Disconnecting the track bar at the frame and steering would normally make the track bar bolt at the axle become off center. The way many folks measure the axle in relation to the frame is to measure from the same spot on each tire to the same spot on the frame.

Last edited:
Ahhh...I didn't catch that it was pulled to the passenger side.. And the some of those pics wouldn't load for me before, so I see the jackstands now, haha.
That is strange indeed, and I don't see anything that's off. The only think I can think is that maybe the frame mount got bent a bit if the Jeep was previously in an accident, but even that looks normal from the pics.

Yeah, I have no idea why it's pushed to the passenger side either. I double checked the ride height and I'm higher than stock, so it's not a squishy suspension pushing it over.

What else can I check? I think I forgot to check for distance between frame rails, but there's no indication otherwise that it has been in an accident.

I know the coil is always close to that bracket anyway. Does yours rub all the time or only when the suspension flexes?

Alternative solution, lift it a little more

I can only tell that it rubs when I'm driving around. I can hear it even on small bumps in the road.

make sure you're caster adjusters aren't screwed up and that all of your control arms are straight.

those bumpstop posts do bend, so watch for that as well.

make sure you're caster adjusters aren't screwed up and that all of your control arms are straight.

those bumpstop posts do bend, so watch for that as well.

The LCAs are square with the rear axle and are installed at the same length on each side. Verified with a tape measure.

Not sure how to check the caster adjusters.

The LCAs are square with the rear axle and are installed at the same length on each side. Verified with a tape measure.

Not sure how to check the caster adjusters.

are you using adjustable CAs? they looked stock to me.

the caster adjusters are the little plates that fit behind the backet of the LCA that would move them forward in the slotted holes.

Yes, they're stock. I just meant that I made sure the front axle wasn't skewed with one tire further back (closer to the rear) than the other.

I guess that I need an angle finder to measure caster?

Yes, they're stock. I just meant that I made sure the front axle wasn't skewed with one tire further back (closer to the rear) than the other.

I guess that I need an angle finder to measure caster?

just look at the plates.

if one side has a lot more than the other, it can twist the axle weird, which will alter the orientation of the spring perches and bow the coils.

Is it possible the PO used wheel spacers and only one side was replaced at some point?

The way I measure center is to find the center of the axle and the 'frame' and drop a plumb bob down from the frame center point and adjust the axle to match. If measuring from tires to a known point on the frame or body, you will miss the spacer issue if there is one.

There's no spacer. I bought new wheels after I bought the Jeep. I've also replaced most of the front end stuff, too.

If I were a betting man I'd say your track bar straightened out some. Being that they are bent from the factory it would be hard to tell unless it were laying next to a known non-bent bar. It is the only explanation I can see for it being effectively too long. That or the drivers side frame rail is bent inward.

It's a new Moog trackbar. I also thought that maybe it was too long, so I measured it against the old one and it's the same length.

edit: here's some pics of the frame-side bracket. ONE, TWO, THREE

Last edited:
Back