• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

75x-140 in a Dana 44 w/ Aussie Locker?

husky390

NAXJA Forum User
I'm about to change the diff oil in the rear end that has an Aussie locker and 4:56 gears. I have some leftover Valvoline Synthetic 75-140 that I'd like to but is that too thick of an oil for that differential?

I've seen some people recommend non synthetic to keep the noise down but I ran that weight in my 94 with no issues

Last edited:
I would highly recommend avoiding any synthetic oils in differentials as does the very well known axle shop I work at ;)
The reason is because even the thicker weight oils are much thinner than their conventional counterparts, and not only doesn't provide good cushioning for the gears, it doesn't stick to oil slingers and bearings as well causing lubrication issues over time.
Even if you don't notice any noise right away, damage is being done.

I would highly recommend avoiding any synthetic oils in differentials as does the very well known axle shop I work at ;)
The reason is because even the thicker weight oils are much thinner than their conventional counterparts, and not only doesn't provide good cushioning for the gears, it doesn't stick to oil slingers and bearings as well causing lubrication issues over time.
Even if you don't notice any noise right away, damage is being done.

I would place that in more of an opinion category than a fact based observation. I work at a dealer and whenever a vehicle is equipped with a tow package they specify synthetic. What does that mean? Nothing. In extreme cases bad things can happen with both conventional and synthetic based gear lube. Just use what you like and move on.

I would place that in more of an opinion category than a fact based observation. I work at a dealer and whenever a vehicle is equipped with a tow package they specify synthetic. What does that mean? Nothing. In extreme cases bad things can happen with both conventional and synthetic based gear lube. Just use what you like and move on.
Well, most every axle we have had come back in the warranty period since I've worked there, which I will ad is few and far between, ended up having synthetic in it... but I will add it's almost always been with Royal Purple. Also we do offer a long warranty on axle assemblies, so this can be units approaching 5 years old...but it's still what we have seen first hand, so we always recommend conventional, and only use Lucas at the shop.

For our lockers we recommend conventional oil, not synthetic and as heavy as appropriate for your climate.

This question comes up a lot, so we've been working on a 'Install in a Box' kit that will provide gear oil, RTV gasket maker and a chart of how many quarts go into each differential. With our bulk buying discounts, we can provide the kit shipped to your door for the cost of buying at a store.

The gear oil in the kits is Valvoline High Performance conventional gear oil, for open and limited slip differentials, with Limited Slip additive. The folks at Valvoline recommended this oil for our products because the conventional is less slippery than synthetic and the small percentage of limited slip additive will help with gear chatter in the locker.

For warm climates we recommend:
85W-140

For cold climates we recommend:
80W-90

For our lockers we recommend conventional oil, not synthetic and as heavy as appropriate for your climate.

This question comes up a lot, so we've been working on a 'Install in a Box' kit that will provide gear oil, RTV gasket maker and a chart of how many quarts go into each differential. With our bulk buying discounts, we can provide the kit shipped to your door for the cost of buying at a store.

The gear oil in the kits is Valvoline High Performance conventional gear oil, for open and limited slip differentials, with Limited Slip additive. The folks at Valvoline recommended this oil for our products because the conventional is less slippery than synthetic and the small percentage of limited slip additive will help with gear chatter in the locker.

For warm climates we recommend:
85W-140

For cold climates we recommend:
80W-90

WOW! Thank you for the reply and providing a recommendation. I'll switch to the oil to that.

Back