• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Moderate speed brake vibration

99 limited

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so maybe someone here has experienced this problem. I'll give you a low down on the truck '99 xj lifted 6.5" running 33x12.50x20" aggressive mud tires, all brand new front brakes, rebuilt front driveshaft, all brand new steering over the knuckle, etc. I have been having this very rough vibration when ever I hit the brakes. I know it's the front brakes because if I use the e brake vibration is not present. I replaced all the rotors, semi metallic pads, and caliper bushings and bolts. Problem is still present. I'm at wits end and just might replace the calipers next. I think if the brakes where to small due to the larger tires that they would just fade instead of vibrating the entire truck. If anyone has experienced this and has a fix please enlighten me with what your repair is. Thank you

Did the problem begin soon after the new brakes, or was it there before the new brakes ? Did you clean the rotors before they were installed and avoid getting grease on the brake pads ? Did you follow the correct bed-in procedure for your new brakes ? Have you checked the run out of the rotors ?

Last edited:
Ok so yes the problem occurred before I replaced everything. And yes everything I did replace is all quality stuff installed clean and broken in correctly. Just cannot understand exactly what could be doing this. If I'm going 25 mph and apply brakes and it starts to vibrate and then immediately switch over and apply the parking brake the vibration goes away. Buy doing this I isolated the problem to be the front brakes

Yeah, I have had rotors do it. Once I even had a 4 wheel drive shop look at it and they actually put a dial indicator on the rotors and gave them a passing grade. The problem in my case was a harsh vibration particularly bad at 40-50 MPH going downhill (real fun on the mountain passes in Colorado). Replacing the rotors AGAIN under warranty and the problem was permanently resolved. This was about 5 years ago.

I'm not experiencing a pulsing brake pedal or the warped rotor thing this is like a chatter or a shudder thru the entire vehicle. it shakes mirrors, steering wheel, it runs right thru the seats and thru your spine. I cannot see the old rotors doing it and the new ones doing the same exact thing. I'm not trying to doubt anyone's opinion but I really don't think its rotors. now the hub thing that could be a place for me to start. maybe ill just replace them for age reasons and see where that goes

Usually thru the seat means the rear. Something on the front usually will shake the wheel. I know you said the parking brake won't do it, but I'd still take a good look into your drums.

Usually thru the seat means the rear. Something on the front usually will shake the wheel. I know you said the parking brake won't do it, but I'd still take a good look into your drums.
i was thinking this as well maybe the rear brakes are not doing there job and the front is doing all the work but im still sceptical.

Do you have ABS on this model? I had something like this years ago, and it turns out the ABS brain was going and the "pulsating" would shudder the vehicle. You couldn't feel it in the pedal, but you certainly could hear and feel it in the cab.

ok so I know I'm reopening a old post but felt it might help others. reason for getting back so late was work got in the way. so here is what I found to be my issue. I replaced today the front wheel hub bearings with new timkens and problem solved. bearings did not feel that bad when spun in hand but I am thinking when brakes are applied they pull out on the bearings causing the vibration. hope this helps anyone with the same issues. thank you to all that replied to my post.

edit- very cool that you solved it

Back