• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97-01 XJ Fuel Pump Sending Unit Problems (Delphi DFG1076)

Ordnance

NAXJA Forum User
Sorry this is long but I try to provide all relevant information up front, Thanks!

Fellow XJ owner’s good day, I am looking for some feedback on 97-01 fuel pumps. I replaced my OEM fuel pump because of the typical check valve problem that had gotten so bad priming did nothing as pressure immediately bled down to about 10 PSI then continued to 0 over the following 20 seconds. Replaced the OEM pump and sending unit it with the Delphi DFG1076. The Jeep started immediately and ran just fine may have even had more upper RPM power.

1st fill up all was well 2nd fill up no problems. 3rd fill up sending unit initially would not indicate full but very slowly, about one minute went up to about ¼ of a tank. Turned the Jeep off and back on and it immediately went strait to full. Hoping that it was a fluke I tried it again on net next fill up (I usually wait until about 1/8 tank) same thing it did not move from 1/8 tank. I cycled the key from run to off a few times to see if it would go up, and it did not so with the key off I kicked the bottom of the tank where the siphon and sock is it went immediately to full.

So I broke down and replaced the pump and sending unit again (third time doing it now) so I have the time down to about 1.75 hrs. Don’t ask about time 2 LOL. 1st fill up fine 2nd fill up (today) same problems starting again.

Observations from removal of first Delphi pump. Float arm for sending unit sticky taking noticeably more effort (but not much) to move than the new pump (had both side by side) (probably could be overcome with larger float like the OEM sender).

I went with the Delphi because the spectra and Airtex had such bad reps it had the lifetime warranty and and I did not want to drop 400 on an OEM pump but it looks like that is where I am headed, that is after I try modifying a new Delphi pump next weekend.

Has anyone else experienced similar issues with this or other similar aftermarket pumps “Delphi DFG1076”?

What did you do the resolve the issue?

Thanks
Scott

I believe the best solution is to exchange the Delphi for a Bosch. The rule of thumb is to use Mopar engine control sensors, NGK/NTK O2 sensors, and Bosch fuel pumps. After that you can choose whatever brands you want. :D The Bosch fuel pumps are what came from the factory and were running $200 on Amazon and $300 at NAPA the last time I looked.

The pump itself can be replaced. For the OP's question, it sounds like its his sending unit rather than the pump that is the problem.

Generally because of the labor and parts involved many folks choose to replace the entire assembly. For example, there is a regulator/filter/check valve on the top of the 97-01 XJ assemblies that is not cheap itself..

Back