• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cranking but not Starting

justin81

NAXJA Forum User
Hi new XJ owner here.
1992 Limited
4.0 Automatic 4x4

Got a 1992 XJ rockcrawler that had been sitting for a year. It would fire right up and drive but was overheating. Decided to replace the cooling system components (thermostat, Tstat housing, water pump, and radiator) and now it refuses to start.

I went back to check all of the connections I broke to make sure I didn't unplug anything in those areas by accident and didn't find anything.

I'm going to work on it again this weekend was going to ohm out the crank positioning sensor since I know those can be a issue with the XJs, but other than that the only thing I can think of is maybe the fuel pump??

One thing I did do was manually spun the motor by hand trying to get the belt back on, could that have caused a issue??

I'm looking for other common issues you guys can recommend me check and troubleshooting techniques since I'm not super familiar with the XJ 4.0 and not a great mechanic.

Thanks!
Justin

Last edited:
Pretty much
crank position sensor
cam position sensor (inside of distributor)
fuel

First off, pull the plugs and post up some pix. That will tell a lot.

I hate throwing expensive parts at an unknown problem.

With the plugs out, put a plug back on a wire and lay the plug up against the block while someone cranks the engine. See that you have a nice fat spark.

Check if you have any fuel pressure. Do that by turning on the key press the core of the fuel rail Schrader valve and make sure you get a healthy squirt of fuel.

I'd try testing the fuel pump first. Cps can crank and run intermittently.

If you not too familiar with mechanics, you can click the the ignition three times (without cranking the engine over) and should be able to hear the pump pressurize. Listen around the fuel tank, usually it's loud enough to hear clearly in the drivers seat.
There is a valve (looks like a tire valve or ac valve) on the fuel rail that can be pressed or fuel pressure tester attached to verify fuel.

Then I'd pull the plugs and test for spark as described earlier.

Then I'd check the CPS and cam sensors.

Relays could do this to.

You said checked all the connections you broke?

Back