• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Timing an 01 Cherokee?

Kingkong0192

NAXJA Forum User
2001 Jeep Cherokee. 4.0/automatic.

Motor was shot. Knocked really bad and i believe the block was cracked. I swapped a 99 motor into the jeep. My problem is the jeep runs terrible. It seems to idle fine, but when you step on the pedal (in park) it gets to about 1,800 RPMS and then starts backfiring/bucking/running terrible and then you let off the gas and it dies. This motor came out of a running driving 99 cherokee that ran awesome when pulled two years ago.

My thinking is that i somehow messed up the camshaft position sensor when i installed it into the block. I got the motor to TDC on cylinder #1, and then i stuck a toothpick through the alignment hole on the cam sensor. (the two bolts holding the actual sensor to that rest of the shaft where rusted out and i couldn't get them off so i left the top of the sensor on.)

I stuck the toothpick all the way through, spun the shaft until i felt it hit piece of metal that runs through the magnet, slipped the toothpick out a hair, spun the shaft a hair, then pushed on the toothpick holding it against the metal piece that spins through the magnet as i spun the shaft slowly. A split second later the toothpick slid into what i believe was the center hole or the correct alignment hole. I'm not positive though.

After that i slid the shaft down into the motor. It slid in pretty easily but the sensor was facing towards the block, so i turned the sensor about 30 degrees to the left to make it line up like the old one did. I think this is where my error was.

Anyways, the jeep runs, but it doesn't rev. Is it possible to loosen the clamp and use a timing light to spin the sensor into time?

I have two CEL lights on.

One for the CPS (that WILL NOT turn off), and one for a CKP sensor or something along those lines. I'll get the exact code tomorrow.

Thanks!

How is the cam chain on the thing? It's not uncommon for the cam chain to stretch and that will cause issues with the 2000+. It will get confused and act like the timing is a tooth off, or not run at all.

May have been a good idea to change out the cam chain while the engine was out

Here's some data pertaining to installation of the OPD and CPS, if it will help:

2000CMPOPDA1.jpg

2000CMPOPDA2.jpg

2000CMPOPDA3.jpg

Alignment of the timing marks after determining TDC Compression #1 cylinder. I found it easier to view the timing marks by removing the radiator electric fan.

DSCF2764.jpg

Back