• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I need an AGM Battery... Locally

srmitchell

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys.

I need a battery that will serve me well for winching, and other accessories. My Napa battery is toast, it got hammered too hard winching recently, and now it is doing weird shit when cranking. Failed the CCA test.

Redtop? Yellow top? I hear Optimas have issues now... But I've also heard that they have been resolved? Any truth to this?

So in my research, I saw many of you favor Die Hard Platinums... They aren't available anymore apparently?
http://www.sears.com/diehard-platin...p-02851090000P?prdNo=7&blockNo=7&blockType=G7

I don't know where to get an Odyssey locally, and I'd really prefer to buy in store for replacement purposes, so bigger names like Napa or Oreilly's would be good for warranty purposes.

Thanks!

Sean

I picked up the orielys superstart agm. 3 year warranty and I think it was around $160. I think exide makes Orielys batteries, but not 100% on that. Been going strong for the last couple months.

The top Die Hard AGM is a Deka AGM... a very good battery. Optimas still have issues. I'm running a Bosch AGM and am happy with it.
My buddy bought the AutoZone AGM, it looks nearly identical to the Deka AGM I bought from Hensley. BTW, I'm happy with my purchase.

WRT the Optimas, I had an 18 month old Yellow Top fail me on the trail about six months ago. Internal short. I don't think they have solved their Mexico problems.

Bummer if Sears quit doing the Odyssey.

The top Die Hard AGM is a Deka AGM... a very good battery. Optimas still have issues. I'm running a Bosch AGM and am happy with it.
Is that the platinum you speak of? Because that would be great, but in the link above it isn't available.
I like the idea of a Bosch... where can you buy them?
We basically have Napa, oreillys and autozone here, plus an interstate store.

Is that the platinum you speak of? Because that would be great, but in the link above it isn't available.
I like the idea of a Bosch... where can you buy them?
We basically have Napa, oreillys and autozone here, plus an interstate store.

I think Sears calls them Ultra Gold or something. They don't have anything called "platinum" anymore. I got my Bosch at Pep Boys.

Odyssey... Look it up, there are probably at least one retailers in your area that carries them. In my area the retailer I bought from was an industrial battery supplier... I Would've never known they were there unless I looked on the odyssey web page.

A battery you don't have to warranty, is ALWAYS better than one that has a Bitchin warranty, especially if you travel alone often.

I love my odyssey.

I picked up the orielys superstart agm. 3 year warranty and I think it was around $160. I think exide makes Orielys batteries, but not 100% on that. Been going strong for the last couple months.

This is my choice. After 2 years of service running the larger group size (34 i think) its perfect, I've experienced better-longer capacity for running an arb fridge than optima and even odyssey.

Blue Top! I got mine brand new for $50.

Of course.. you'll have a hard time finding one like I did. But they're rated for Deep Cycle and starting and handle the vibrations of offroading better than yellow since they are Marine rated.

750 CCA and fit just the same... I believe it is an Optima D34 part number.

Die Hard Platinum is the sibling to the Odyssey.
Carquest/AAP AGM platinum is made by East Penn. The plats. that O'reilly and Vatozone sell are the same.

I'm researching a replacement for my PC1200 right now. The current battery won't run the ARB fridge overnight and still crank at a decent speed. I do not want to be stranded 10 miles from the nearest paved road. I picked up a Trailgear "battery box" for the Optima which will also work with group 34 batteries. Just need to weld some legs on it to mount it in the stock location.

The Diehard Platinum is no more, only "gold"

Right now I'm looking at the Deka/Diehard Gold/Autozone Platinum/Orielly Superstart which all appear to be the same battery and made by East Penn/Deka. All at the 150-160 price point.

The other options I'm looking at are the PC1500, Northstar AGM34, and Interstate MT7-34 which have more capacity, but also about $100 more at the $250 price point.

The first group all have 3 year "limited" warranty, which I assume means pro-rated. The second group have 4 year full replacement warranty. The Odssey and Northstar are "USA" made, with the Northstar claiming pure lead.

If you are interested in getting an Autozone battery, PM me and I will send you our commercial account number. It should save you some bucks.

I gave in and went for an Optima Yellow top. I got a great deal through napa because of my dealership discount. I couldn't find anything else locally like it.

3 year free replacement, lots of CCA's and a 120min reserve capacity.

I'll be the guinea pig and see if the quality has gotten any better.

Motorcraft BXT-3478 119.95 retail price, 800CCA 3 year Free replacement, 100 month total pro-rate warranty.
ACDelco 78DTPS about the same price, pending where you find it.
78DTP "red label" about 100$
Not AGM, but good at a decent price point.
I'm researching a replacement for my PC1200 right now. The current battery won't run the ARB fridge overnight and still crank at a decent speed. I do not want to be stranded 10 miles from the nearest paved road. I picked up a Trailgear "battery box" for the Optima which will also work with group 34 batteries. Just need to weld some legs on it to mount it in the stock location.

The Diehard Platinum is no more, only "gold"

Right now I'm looking at the Deka/Diehard Gold/Autozone Platinum/Orielly Superstart which all appear to be the same battery and made by East Penn/Deka. All at the 150-160 price point.

The other options I'm looking at are the PC1500, Northstar AGM34, and Interstate MT7-34 which have more capacity, but also about $100 more at the $250 price point.

The first group all have 3 year "limited" warranty, which I assume means pro-rated. The second group have 4 year full replacement warranty. The Odssey and Northstar are "USA" made, with the Northstar claiming pure lead.

Back