• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 Transmission Drive Issue

ChopandChange

NAXJA Forum User
New here and really needing some help. 2001 XJ Limited, 3in RC suspension lift, 31" Grabber AT2s. Nothing fancy.

Transmission is not wanting to engage in D. 1-2, 3, and R all good, manual shifting is fine, you can feel the acceleration is normal. Put it in drive and the engine revs normally but no forward progress. If you pop into D while going around 35+, response and shifting is normal.

What I have done:
-Full trans flush, level is good.
-Changed all shift solenoids

What I haven't tried:
-Checked TCU fuse (can't find the bastard, seems easy when everyone else shows it)
-Swapped the TCU

I've been through all the threads related, but they all seem to have some different factor that makes them not directly relevant.

Thanks

What transmission fluid are you using ? Have you tried adjusting the transmission kick down/throttle valve cable ? Is the Neutral Safety Switch malfunctioning or improperly adjusted ? I would suspect the TCU.

I suggest spending $7.95 for a genuine Jeep Service Manual at www.PacificCoastManuals.com. Complete trouble shooting charts and diagnostic procedures are detailed in the Service Manual.

Kickdown adjust -> http://www.allpar.com/SUVs/jeep/cherokee-transmission.html

Last edited:
NSS and kick down adjusted. Finally found out it's throwing P1698. Checked the cables to the PCM and everything is clean. I had the dash out recently, is there any way that something didn't get connected right under the dash?

EDIT: Close it up boys...apparently I had to type it out to realize I should check those connections again.

Last edited:
Back