• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drivetrain shops in SoCal?

Renegade Jpr

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, Im getting ready to have my XJ re-geared and was wondering of some good/cheaper drivetrain shops around the SoCal area. Im in Corona just to let you know. I got a quote from a local shop for a little over $2100, the parts include: 4.10 Dana/Spicer gears, Install Detroit EZ locker up front(that I already bought) rear Super35 with a Detroit locker and install, full rebuild kits.

That price sounds steep, but you mention a Super 35. What do you get for $2100?

For the regear and locker install:

Check with Frank Hayes Enterprises, hes a member of OC 4 Play and SD 4 Wheelers.

Another place but far from you is Border Parts in Spring Valley (San Diego).

There is also Ryan Brown in Escondido who charges around $150 per axles labor.

The locker install should be free with a regear.

Good luck

Yea, the locker install is free, no charge for that. Do you have phone #'s to any of those places/people.

Thanks alot!:D :cool:

Well you are in Corona, so I guess you went to Drivetrain Direct?

Here a few names of some shops

corona, Drivetrain Direct
Riverside/corona.. Tri-County GEAR
Pomona... ALL 4 Wheel Drive (john lemeux)
UNITRAX... Anaheim (devin)
T&J Offroad...Orange

That should aboutcover it

Frank does all of my gear work. He also gave me one hell of a deal on a slightly used D44 full detroit for my rear.

and I can TELL you that he will give you a better price then that. He just got done rebuilding my rear dana 44 and isntalling a new R&P and locker.

Tell him Scott sent you ;)

-Scott

Yea, I havent gone to Drivetrain Direct yet, I called but they never answer they phones. I live right across the street from All 4 WheelDrive. I have had my YJ in there plenty of times and John dose some awsome work, but he is expensive! Thats where I got my price quote. I'll give Frank a call.

I'm not going to quote what Frank charged me for my axle work but I can promise you that you will not find it any cheaper. Not to mention Frank is a great guy.

-Scott

sintax said:
I'm not going to quote what Frank charged me for my axle work but I can promise you that you will not find it any cheaper. Not to mention Frank is a great guy.

-Scott

Awsome! Thats what I like to hear, I e-mailed him last night.:D

Frank did my gears and locker too he's a good guy.

Ryan Brown did mine.

The cool part was I got to help! He even took money OFF the price for my help!

THE FOOL!!! :spin1: He should have charged me XTRA! Well, I'm not really that bad with a wrench. He's a great guy and I was glad to give him the work.

We did all kinds of stuff: 4.10 gears front D30 and rear 8.25; NoSlip locker; 29 spline axle upgrade in the 8.25; etc...

bburge

sounds like you had some fun. I would have been down for some action like that. I would much rather do it myself if I could have a pro supervise me. Not to mention I could talk sh!t about how I set my own gears up. ;)

-Scott

Very cool! Looks like Im going to have my gears done by Frank, I cant belive the price for the labor he quoted me!:eek: :eek: :eek: Next week I'll be towing my XJ down to his place to have them installed :D

You guys ROCK, thanks for the help!

NAXJA

Glad to read that Frank will be helping you. From what I hear, he's a nice fellow.
Since this topic comes up frequently, I'll third what Ray and Bill said about Ryan Brown. He did my 4.56 gears and ARB's, did very nice work too. Smooth as silk.
:D

Back