• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Damn squeek is driving me NUTS!!!

Original_MudButt

NAXJA Forum User
SQUEEK... SQUEEK...SQUEEK...SQUEEK...SQUEEK...SQUEEK...SQUEEK...SQUEEK...SQUEEK...SQUEEK...

I've narrowed it down to either the mechanical fan bearing or the alternator bearings...

Both are original with about 14,000 miles.

I'm sure I can replace the fan bearing easily enough.

Has anyone replaced the bearings in their alternator? Just wondering how difficult a task it would be. The alternator works fine and I don't want to replace it if I don't have to...

how did you determine it's not just the belt?
try dribbling some water on the belt while it's running; if the problem goes away for a bit, then you know it's the belt, and not something else.

I'll toss out Distributor bearing as a strong maybe....

Get a mechanical stethoscope and place it on the front of your alternator pulley and 'carefully' near the fan. You should notice if it's either and then you can replace. Also as mentioned be sure it's not your fan.

Stethoscopes can be had at AZone or Oreilly's for not much cash.

how did you determine it's not just the belt?

It's not the belt. Totally different sound.

I'll toss out Distributor bearing as a strong maybe....

Thought that might be it also... As luck would have it, I found out last week the factory distributor was shot. Put in a new one 4 days ago. Still squeaking...

Get a mechanical stethoscope and....

I have one and tried that, but couldn't really determine exactly where the squeak is coming from. Couldn't hear any squeak through the stethoscope...

It's weird, if you stand on one side of the Jeep it sounds like it's coming from the rear of the motor. Stand on the other side and sounds like it's coming from the front.

Harmonic balancer and power steering pump are also usual suspects. Idler pully, AC/bearing, water pump? Best to pull the belt and test each one by hand at some point.

Does the squeak or pitch change when you're driving or just idling in park, in gear, etc??

It only changes in frequency, as the engine revs up the squeak gets faster...

Harmonic balancer and power steering pump are also usual suspects. Idler pully, AC/bearing, water pump? Best to pull the belt and test each one by hand at some point.

Harmonic balancer and water pump (FlowKooler) are new, >1000 miles. Power steering pump and idler are less than 3 years old. A/C is factory original.

I really appreciate all the suggestions from you guys, but we are kind of beating around the bush...

My original question here was, is it possible to replace the bearings in the alternator by a somewhat capable mechanic without any special tools?

Thanks again...

Re-reading your original post... your Original Alternator only has 14,000 miles on it?

I don't know if they're rebuild-able, or if it'd be cost effective to do so. May be a good time to upgrade your Alternator if indeed your current one is defective. I would think you could slip the drive belt off the pulley and spin the Alternator by hand to determine if the bearing is shot.

Re-reading your original post... your Original Alternator only has 14,000 miles on it?

I don't know if they're rebuild-able, or if it'd be cost effective to do so. May be a good time to upgrade your Alternator if indeed your current one is defective. I would think you could slip the drive belt off the pulley and spin the Alternator by hand to determine if the bearing is shot.

It is probably not the bearings anyway that are bad if it is making noise. It is usually the carbon brushes that have worn out that are bad and making a bearing like noise. Parts are very hard to find now days for rebuilding them unlike motor rebuilds. But they can be rebuilt, There are still shops that rebuild old ones and ones from trucks and forklifts that are rare. I had one here local do my 81 Nissan Diesel alternator for my 85 jeep.

Back