• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 xj 4.0 rear main seal question

poomero

NAXJA Forum User
I just dropped the oil pan to change the rear main seal. The seal came as 2 pieces but when i dropped the pan there is only 1 piece of the seal that is being used. The new oil pan gasket looks like it completes the rear seal. Is this correct?

I changed one on a renix and it used both parts of the new seal. Am i missing something here?

Have you pulled the rear main cap? The pan gasket and rear main gasket are two separate seals. On a 99 you have to pull the main stud girdle and rear main cap to access the seal .

I thought I had to pull the cap off also but I don't see one on this. Picture on has a gap for the seal. should I pull metal strip in picture 3 to expose the cap and would it be under the bolts in picture 2?

Exactly ! You're on the right track .. that groove is for the pan gasket ,once the girdle or "strap"
Is removed the rear main cap can be removed , that is where you will see the two piece seal.
One half In the cap the other half in the block . And I advise you use the blue fel pro pan gasket.

Exactly ! You're on the right track .. that groove is for the pan gasket ,once the girdle or "strap"
Is removed the rear main cap can be removed , that is where you will see the two piece seal.
One half In the cap the other half in the block . And I advise you use the blue fel pro pan gasket.

Thanks. I thoght taht was the case so thanks for the clarity

Back