• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission cooler (line) alternatives

dan1977p

NAXJA Forum User
I replaced my radiator and water pump yesterday and ran into an issue where the quick disconnect line for the transmission cooler didn't seal properly. Initially, I hadn't pushed it in far enough but after it leaked a little and I caught that, I pressed it in the rest of the way and it was fine for 15 minutes in the garage. Drove to O'Reilly's and it dumped all my ATF in their parking lot. Tried to pull it off and it was on solid and messed with it a little more, refilled and drove home. Now it's sealed but I have no faith in that quick disconnect.

Anyone have a good source for different lines I can run and fittings I could change out on the quick disconnect to make it threaded?
What about running a separate transmission cooler to help the radiator do less work?

Thanks
--
91 Sport, 4.0L, AW4, NP231, AC, 33" MT Deegan 38's, 4.5" RC Lift, SYE,D30HP Cad, 8.25, 4.88 gears

The Dorman lines are horrible, go with dealer and they will work perfectly. My local dealer stocks them.

Probably rolled the O-Ring in there. Little Vaseline prevents this. Guessing a '91 is set up similar to a '00. Maybe? When I did my radiator I replaced the lower tranny line just cause the rubber had a notch in it from steering box. Figured I was there so why not. Anyway used a Napa. Works great. Been almost 3 years now.

Probably rolled the O-Ring in there.

That's what I think happened too and the leaked fluid added enough lube to reseat it when I reconnected it the second time. I just looked at it again and with the aftermarket bumper, the front crossmember below the radiator gets a ton of airflow. I was going to move my condenser down there if I ever had time where I didn't need to do anything else but now I'm thinking maybe I should mount an aftermarket cooler there. While I'm doing that, I can add an inline temp gauge and maybe even a filter.

im planning cutting mine at the rubber flex section, installing a double barb fitting and running new lines to the aftermarket cooler.

I replaced my transmission cooler lines came from napa made by doorman year or so later they were leaking in the same place as the O E ones so I just them off and used the 3/8 barb fittings and transmission cooler hose.

Tru-Cool LPD4921, cut the transmission lines at the engine about 6" back from the front of the motor. Used 2 -6 tube sleeves, 2 -6 tube nuts, 2 -6 M-M adapters, and 2 -6 push lock fittings, and probably 6 feet of the summit brand push lock hose. I completely bypassed the built in cooler. No more leaks.

Note: Summit brand is "Twist-Tite"

I did what Dantheman! is planning and haven't had any issues, its been about 10 months or so, with some trail riding in 103+ degree weather in July.

You can buy the fittings that screw into the trans and run an style fittings (or pushlock) or whatever you want. Can't remember the exact size, but it's a metric o ring fitting I think. If you were going to redo it all anyways and add a temp sender and filter, that's how I'd do it. There used to be a thread on here with the fitting.

Back