• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

horrible noise after new tires...

johnMZ24

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, this is gunna be long. Last week my jeep was 4.5inches and had 31s. No noises. Juss got 33s and lifted the back an inch with a block( i know there bad) but i figured an inch wouldnt be to bad since now its level and looks real good. When i pull put( 5 speed) and say i turn on red and i accelerate quick theres a noise ONLY when the jeep is lifting from accelerating and me on the gas and only in first gear. My right rear goes down( not much but noticeable) and left front picks up a little and that when the noise starts. Think of A fan with like 500 thin metal blades and touchint something metal or a baddd grinding noise basicly.( i already checked fan and shroud and evvvverything around it and the hood). The axle joints and hub assemblies were done 2 months ago. I greased the front driveshaft and everything else and still does it. I cant find amything its hitting or scraping against. I tried everything. What can it be?

You're going to have to go back through the changes you just made and double check your work. Look closely at your new tires for gouges. Check the inner fenders to see if there was contact with something. Did the rear lift alter driveline angles to be the cause...etc

Check the fan and shroud again. Sounds like time for new motor and trans mounts

Sorry guys it was late lol. Its a 96 cherokee 4.0 w/ ax-15. It does have an 1 1/4" tcase drop. Axle joints are new. Front driveshaft was rebuilt wit new joints and ball last year. The noise is def driver side front. I dont have a shroud for my fan. I went under last night and looked and tried to move my tcase and the mount looks good, idk bout the front mounts. Im ordering new motor mounts when i get into work. If its not raining il try and post a video to you tube and let yas hear it. Im afraid il be deep up the mtns n sumtin lets go.

Is it possible that it's front driveshaft u-joints. The tcase drop increases front driveshaft angles.
Shaft is in drivers front and on a hard accelerated right turn the angle increases even more.
Remedy.. Sye.

Yea imma do a sye but that wont be for another couple months. I guess what il do is rebuild front driveshaft to see if that cures it. Itll come and go. Itll happen and then stop for 2 hours. Then randomly when i get on it. Today il be looking at the front with a buddy. Also, i added a 1inch block on my 3.5inch procomp springs and has a 1inch drop shackle.. Can that cause it to be funny?

a lot of the body roll is from using blocks in the rear, especially if you had worn rear springs to begin with.

That 1" block has greatly increased your spring wrap.

Make sure your E-brake lines aren't touching anything. I had one on my 88 that was rubbing the wheel rim after a small lift.

Back