• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driveshaft interchangeability?

Cc1996

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I am in the process of swapping a 93 8.25 under my 96 XJ that had the D35. Just wondering if I can use a driveshaft from 97+ or if I need to find one from 96 and older.

Thanks guys.

D35 and Chry 8.25 are different sized housings, and use different length drive shafts. For 1996+ Jeep switched the transfer case slip yoke from internal, to external.

You will need the correct slip yoke style, and the correct drive shaft length.

D35 and Chry 8.25 are different sized housings, and use different length drive shafts. For 1996+ Jeep switched the transfer case slip yoke from internal, to external.

You will need the correct slip yoke style, and the correct drive shaft length.

I see you are from Minnesota. I also am from Mn. St.Cloud area. After some further research it looks like a DS from a 96+ XJ should work. As long as it is an AW4 4.0

I see you are from Minnesota. I also am from Mn. St.Cloud area. After some further research it looks like a DS from a 96+ XJ should work. As long as it is an AW4 4.0
The yoke for a later, external slip won't work for the earlier, internal type as there is no seal surface and it will leak. The internal yokes are also longer.
The shaft itself may work out though depending on length, you'll just need to swap the yokes.

The yoke for a later, external slip won't work for the earlier, internal type as there is no seal surface and it will leak. The internal yokes are also longer.
The shaft itself may work out though depending on length, you'll just need to swap the yokes.

Well if the change happened in 96 I possibly have that change. Is there an easy way to tell if I do or not?

Well if the change happened in 96 I possibly have that change. Is there an easy way to tell if I do or not?
Sorry for the delay... you can tell by simply looking at the shaft at he case and seeing if it has a boot (later style) on it or not. If no boot and the shaft inserts into the tail housing it's the earlier style.

Sorry for the delay... you can tell by simply looking at the shaft at he case and seeing if it has a boot (later style) on it or not. If no boot and the shaft inserts into the tail housing it's the earlier style.

That's fine! I ended up getting one from the junkyard that matches mine. Got the DS and some country package trim pieces for 55 bucks. Sometimes junkyards aren't horrible. Lol

That's fine! I ended up getting one from the junkyard that matches mine. Got the DS and some country package trim pieces for 55 bucks. Sometimes junkyards aren't horrible. Lol

Nice, hope it all comes together well!

Back