• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 XJ Sport Build - Expedition Hunting

WyoCherokee

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I have been away since i registered, been active over on Cherokeeforum.com. Attached link is to my Expeditionportal.com build thread and my Cherokeeforum.com Build thread. and here is a before and current photo :)

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/project-blueberry-211258/

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/151627-Project-Bird-Hunter

Before:
stock_zpsr0ccvkvo.jpg

After:
FB_IMG_1443415954151_zpsxtmut9ry.jpg

20160214_172203_zpsr4xovr4u.jpg

Nice. How do you like the Maxx's? Decent in snow?

I have a set of them too and they are great in the snow. Not as good in the ice as some other tires but I think they are a great all around tire that I don't see too many of.

WyoCherokee - love the rig!

I have a set of them too and they are great in the snow. Not as good in the ice as some other tires but I think they are a great all around tire that I don't see too many of.

WyoCherokee - love the rig!

Thanks! Seems everyone has a fad to go for Nittos or BFG's. These were made to replace the ST/C so it has a silica tread compound. They do lack a bit in ice, but aired down i dont notice much. I never understood why everyone shyes away from Cooper. Evenfor being 10 ply, i ran then at 15psi in Moab on the Slick rock and had plenty of traction.

Thanks! Seems everyone has a fad to go for Nittos or BFG's. These were made to replace the ST/C so it has a silica tread compound. They do lack a bit in ice, but aired down i dont notice much. I never understood why everyone shyes away from Cooper. Evenfor being 10 ply, i ran then at 15psi in Moab on the Slick rock and had plenty of traction.

I agree I was looking for something that not everyone had especially Duratracs when I got them. I had Duratracs on our Nissan Armada at the time. Great tire it just seems everyone has Duratracs or BFGs.

Well i made a smoking purchase. Got a trussed and locked dana 30 with 4.56 gears, and a built ford 8.8 with everything...all brakes, driveline and yoke adaptor, spare axles for front and rear, calipers, pads, rotors. for $1200. So now i just need some time to degrease and paint the axles. i had planned to put a spartan in my chry 8.25, but with the 8.8 being a lsd and the front having an aussie, i think i came out better.
axles_zpsaliyuskf.jpg

Parts_zpsmtcpydcr.jpg

Nice find!

As a friendly suggestion, I would cut off the square tube spring perches and put a set of real perches on. Those look to be pretty long and tall off the axle. The length will bend springs and the added height will add to axle wrap.

Nice find!

As a friendly suggestion, I would cut off the square tube spring perches and put a set of real perches on. Those look to be pretty long and tall off the axle. The length will bend springs and the added height will add to axle wrap.

Actually, they don't look to me to be much taller than stock perches. I'd be more worried about a seam being in tubing that could fail if homemade.

They are made long to control axle wrap......many places sell longer perches for just this reason, as well as the ability to move the axle front or rear an inch or so.

Not sure how they will bend springs, as the u-bolts will still be in the same place using those as if you used a stock perch. (axle tube is still the same diameter, and the spring is still the same width)

(example here http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/25-PERCH3.html)

Got 2 new rotors in for the 8.8, and new e-brake assemblies. I dont really want to pull the axle to change out the e-brake shoes, but it appears i may have to. Might just run without an E_brake for a bit un till i get the motivation to pull the cross pin and c-clips.. Also got the E-brake cables needed from ECGS(very nice guys to work with BTW) Hoping monday to mount the 8.8 into the jeep to at least get it moving with the new gears. Need to get new UCA bushings and a press for the D30 before i can swap it in. Will need to do that before the snow comes. We are expecting 8-10 inches in the next week.

Back