• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TJ transfer case into XJ

cliffv

NAXJA Forum User
Quick question,

Will a transfer case from a 2000 4L TJ automatic bolt into my 4L 95XJ automagic without having to swap input gears?
I have about 275K miles on my transfer case and it's starting to make strange noises, has chewed up 2 speedo drive gears, and needs a SYE installed. I can get the TJ transfer case for a reasonable price but, I'm not sure if I can just bolt it in or will I need to swap the inputs.

Thanks,

Cliff

Is the tj case the same model?
Usually if it's say something like a np231, 4cy = a certain spline and most years are interchangeable.

The only question for me is what transmission the tj has and if its fittings are compatible with the 95 Xj, I'd think the rest of the tcase if it's the same model would be the same as well. As I remember it all the jeep tcases are clocked the same it is the transmission which are clocked at the tail housing for each models clearance needs.

I'm sure someone who knows those year transfer cases will have the best advice for you.

I'm did a search on my phone. Most say avoid newer than 96, apparently something changed I'm not sure what.

Thanks for the info.
Doing some more searching around it appears that Crown Automotive and Omix-Ada list different part numbers for the input gears between the TJ and XJ.
It's not a big deal to swap the gears but I was hoping to not have to open to case.

Regards,

Cliff

Quick question,

Will a transfer case from a 2000 4L TJ automatic bolt into my 4L 95XJ automagic without having to swap input gears?

You need to know the input gear spline count (21 or 23), and the input length (short, medium, long), for both T-cases.

If you are swapping or mixing/matching internals you need to be aware of the change in gear cut type that occurred in about 1994.

More info here -> www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/np-nvg-input-gears/ and here -> www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/transfer-cases/np231/

You need to know the input gear spline count (21 or 23), and the input length (short, medium, long), for both T-cases.

If you are swapping or mixing/matching internals you need to be aware of the change in gear cut type that occurred in about 1994.

More info here -> www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/np-nvg-input-gears/ and here -> www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/transfer-cases/np231/

Thanks Tim_MN.

I picked up the donor yesterday, it is a 23 spline input with a 1.580" height (measured to the seal face) now, I need to pull the one out of my XJ and measure the input length and see if they are close.

Just a quick follow-up for those interested.
A TJ automatic 231 has a 23 spline input but the stick out length is to long. So, I tore down the failed unit, removed the input gear, tore down the donor, installed replacement input gear, sealed unit, and reinstalled.
The only piece of advice I can offer is: don't forget to tighten the output shaft housing! The fine mist of ATF that will coat everything under your vehicle really sucks to try and clean.

Regards,

Cliff

Has anyone simply cut down the TJ input shaft ? I have a buddy with a 23 spline TJ teraflex 4:1 231 with the long input ready to install, but he has a 1991 XJ, AX15, with the short input. I was really hoping to just cut the input gear down and call it good, Thoughts? DOnt know if a sazwall or angle grinder with cutoff then flapper wheel would be too crude, then clean up the splines.

A long, long time ago, Opie and I cut about an inch or so off of the input shaft on a brand new Atlas case. Mask it, mark it, cut it, clean it.

Alternatively, I have a 1" spacer on the front of my Atlas to make the input work. AA would probably gladly sell you one, and then the case can go back to a TJ if desired. Also adds front driveline length. Barely.

Edit: I think I remember reading that TJ cases are clocked slightly differently but I don't remember if it is the good way or bad way.

I'm sure it can be done but, to tear down both transfer cases, swap inputs, and put everything back together took less than an hour using basic hand tools.
I did think about doing it the way you mentioned though.

Regards,

Cliff

Has anyone simply cut down the TJ input shaft ? I have a buddy with a 23 spline TJ teraflex 4:1 231 with the long input ready to install, but he has a 1991 XJ, AX15, with the short input. I was really hoping to just cut the input gear down and call it good, Thoughts? DOnt know if a sazwall or angle grinder with cutoff then flapper wheel would be too crude, then clean up the splines.

I didn't notice any difference between the donor TJ mounting flange vs. the removed XJ flange?

Cliff

Edit: I think I remember reading that TJ cases are clocked slightly differently but I don't remember if it is the good way or bad way.

its a teraflex 4:1, so it has its own special input, and his is a 91 versus TJ, so the cut on the gears would be different even if it did work.

Gotcha.

Didn't realize the teraflex had a different style input.

its a teraflex 4:1, so it has its own special input, and his is a 91 versus TJ, so the cut on the gears would be different even if it did work.

Back