• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rough idle when hot and wheeling

cp2295

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone so i got a 96 xj 4.0 auto. Anyways when im out on the trail my jeep will start idling really rough and when i go to rev it up it will miss like its running on 4 cylinders. Then i bounce limiter a couple times and it cleans it up. But as soon as it goes back down to idle it will start the roughness and again i have to rev it to clean it up.

If i turn the rig off and turn it back on after a few minutes it will run extremely rough. Garbage. It wont even rev up and finally ill break through its roughness and itll run just fine.

It used to do it very occasionally and now its getting worse like everytime i go wheeling it does it. As soon as i start driving it runs fine, power is fine.

I read a thread about wrapping the injectors with heat shield, maybe this will help, im going to give it a shot, just dont know if anyone else has an idea or this exact issue. I checked my fuel trims with my scanner and it said while this is happening it sits at about 17% too lean. When i am cruising on the freeway, around town etc, it sits +/- 5%.

Btw i have no codes. Thanks for the input

No idea if your issue is the same. But we have one manifold bolt that tends to back out ever so slightly. It creates intermittent rough starts and rough idle, re occurs about every 6 months. Takes 2 minutes to tighten it up.

You can check for leaks by carefully spraying starter fluid around the gasket. The idle will change if it sucks in starter fluid.

The intake issue may be the problem. I haven't heard of the rough idle issue when hot on an older XJ like your but on the 99* there was an issue with heat from the motor vaporizing the fuel in the injectors causing the same issue. Good vents first, then look at faulty injectors

Back