• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 Cherokee will only start by grounding starter

Cory1986

NAXJA Forum User
Alright guys, Just removed the 4.0L engine from the jeep to replace the freeze out plugs behind the flywheel. New spark plugs, CKS, and thermostat among a few other things that don't pertain to this problem. Engine is back in and everything is hooked back into place. When you try to put the key in the ignition and turn the jeep on you get nothing. If you continue to turn the key to the start position all the gauges come on, windows operate, and fuel pump kicks in (if held in a perfect position). Occasionally you get a click from under the hood somewhere. With two people one can ground out the starter and the jeep will fire up and run perfect. Relays have all been checked and the computer seems fine by holding the odometer button down and turning key on. odometer runs 1-9, gauges respond, then everything returns to normal position... Anyone know the answer or had this problem? Do I have a bad ground? Bad Ignition? Or bad wires to the starter? thinking about putting a push button on it. Any recommendations would be appreciated.....oh yeah when turning the key to the accessory position there is a lot of popping coming through the speakers even when nothing else comes on....

The ignition switch in my black 96 just broke last night and won't turn to start position(same thing happened a few years ago to green 96), so I had to use the jumper cable from b+ to starter to get it started. If you have to do it for ground, then you have a bad block ground or starter isn't bolted cleanly in there.

Back